Transferring Licenses of Tonex Hardware and Software Bundles

Question about TONEX ONE / Pedal used-device transfer and bundled software

Hi,

I would like to clarify the current procedure for transferring a used TONEX device to a new owner. Has anybody hands on experience with this? Can someone of ik Multimedia please answer this question once and for all?

I recently transferred a registered TONEX ONE from my account to another IK Multimedia account in preparation for selling it.

The hardware transfer itself worked correctly: the ONE appeared as registered hardware in the new account.

However, the new account did not receive a permanent TONEX SE / AmpliTube 5 SE software authorization.

When I opened TONEX 2.0, it behaved as a trial and showed a remaining grace period. The TONEX Editor reported that its 10-day grace period had expired and instructed me to open the Product Manager.

The Product Manager showed “TONEX Installed Version 2.0.2”, but there was no apparent way to obtain or authorize a permanent TONEX license. With the ONE connected via USB, TONEX 2.0 also did not recognize the device.

So my question is:

What exactly is a buyer of a used TONEX ONE (or Tonex Pedal for that matter) supposed to receive after the hardware transfer, and how is the buyer supposed to obtain the software required to actually use the device?

In particular:

  1. Does the hardware transfer include TONEX SE / AmpliTube 5 SE (or Tonex Max and Amplitube 5 for Tonex Pedal respectively)?
  2. If not, does the buyer automatically receive a free TONEX CS / Player license?
  3. If so, how is that license activated after the hardware transfer?
  4. How is the TONEX ONE/Pedal supposed to be recognized by TONEX 2.0 after the transfer?
  5. Is a separate paid TONEX license currently required for a second-hand TONEX ONE or TONEX Pedal?

I would also appreciate clarification regarding the TONEX Pedal. A new TONEX Pedal is advertised as including TONEX MAX and AmpliTube 5, while the Pedal itself appears to have only one hardware serial number.

If the bundled software is not transferred with a used Pedal, how does the new owner obtain the software required to use it?

I would be particularly interested in an answer from an IK Multimedia representative, as the current product information and some older forum statements seem difficult to reconcile with what actually happens during a current hardware transfer.

Thanks a lot!

Your best bet is official IK Support who can look at your specific situation. The serial number is included on a card with your TONEX Pedal (and will be shown in your IK Product Manager after registration). Transferring it to another IK account in preparation for sale and transfer to someone else may have complicated things and a support representative will need to look at your accounts and assess how to take care of that for a smooth transfer now. Click here to open a ticket

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply. I can’t imagine that it has todo with the preps, for I tested it with another E-mail address. How would the system know, it doesn’t belong to a buyer?

Anyways, so you‘re saying registration in a new users account should enable the user to use the software? A lot of sellers claim that hardware and software licenses can be transferred yet information on ik‘s product pages reads somewhat different.

I will open a support ticket once I have a buyer, can you just tell me clearly if Tonex SE (for Tonex One) and /or Tonex Max + Amplitube 5 (for Tonex Pedal) will also be transferred to a new user account or not, so I can assure potential buyers what to expect?

I love Tonex and I‘m on the fence for the new board, yet I want to sell current gear first.

Thanks again, I think there’s a lot of confusion about the license transfers. At least to me :wink:

Best regards

@Haemmingus, did you get an answer for this? I am curious as I bought a used TONEX ONE pedal and my licensing still seems to be for TONEX CS, not SE. I wasn’t sure if I would get an upgraded license or not, but I was hoping so.

Hi @djdrysdale1,

no, unfortunately no more answers here. haven’t opened a support ticket yet as I see no benefit in that as long as I have no buyer. It’s a shame though that there seem no standard process to transfer Hardware and software on IK‘s side.

But can you tell me please, with the used Tonex One you bought, did you receive one Serial or several for in earlier information it said upon transfer from one account there would he an email with one Serial for the hardware and further Serial(s) for software. What did you have to do in order to geht the software authorized?

Thanks a lot and good luck.

I received the original serial number card with the pedal. That was the only one that I got. I was able to use that to register the hardware device without issue. From what the buyer said, they have never used that serial prior to selling it so I am not sure what they did on their end. I’ll likely open a support case to see if I should get the TONEX SE license with it and I’ll post back what I learn.

OK, that’ll be great, thank you. So if the serial hasn‘t been used at all before, I‘d expect the correct software to be authorized to you. Strangely enough to hear it’s only CE!

Here’s again what I did (as seller of a used Tonex One): I had the pedal authorized in my ik MM account. I used the „transfer“ button under that pedal in my account to de-authorize it. That worked fine. The pedal was no longer in my account. I received an email with a single Serial No. matching the one on the card that originally came with the pedal. I got deducted jam points from my account, which is kinda strange for you won‘t get Jampoint authorizing a 2nd hand pedal in a new account. However, authorizing the pedal in a second account did not enable any software on that account. Not even Tonex Editor or Tonex Player let alone Tonex CE or SE. So how will the new owner use the pedal eventually?

Now, there are a lot of people selling their used Tonex Pedals and T Ones at the moment. Many of them claiming the software will be transferred via their accounts to the new owner after the sale. I doubt it though because the ik MM website reads differently at present. However, in the last (certainly when I bought my pedals) that was not the case and there are forum posts of IK MM that say it can be transferred via support, I think.

So, unfortunately the whole process is unclear. What can we as sellers and buyers of used Tonex Hardware expext? Tonex Software be transferred after sale even if it had originally been registered in our accounts? Will the pedal / One /One+ be usable with the editor ar least and how can an owner of a 2nd hand device download the software when the serial only registers the hardware yet no software?

What makes things even worse is the fact that once you have a lot of IK’s hard and software, the whole situation gets even more intransparent. Products of different softwarebundels overlap and you can easily loose track of what belongs to what.

So please, iK Multimedia shed might upon this whole topic and tell us loyal customers of yours, what we are to expect when we sell our old hardware (as often times in order to buy even more new stuff of yours) so we can appropriately tell the people who buy it.

I love Tonex and IK MM stuff in general, yet this whole registration/de-registration chaos has to end. Else a lot of us might eventually turn to other, even open source alternatives.

The software should transfer, that has been the way it has been set up for TONEX hardware and how it has worked for many for a long time. I don’t know what happened in your case when you transferred to another account of your own but something odd happened that is not typical. You will need to reach out to IK Support if you have not already done so and they’ll clear up what happened and get you to where your transfer will be fine and smooth.

There is a transfer FAQ which mentions TONEX hardware specifically in the FAQ itself too: IK MULTIMEDIA. SOUND BETTER.

It turned out to be pretty simple. I contacted Support. A little while later I got an email and replied to that with a proof of purchase (e.g., receipt) and a photo of the S/N card that came with the unit. A little while after I sent that I got another email with a TONEX SE serial number that I was able to add to product manager. As far as I know, the seller was not involved.

It was not the most user-friendly or intuitive way to go about things, but it was resolved fairly quickly.

That’s great to hear! Thank you!

@Peter-IK : thank you, too. The FAQ states, "In order to transfer an IK Multimedia software license to another person*, the current rights owner must purchase a “License Transfer Credit” in IK Multimedia’s online store.

*Due to the nature of their included software, owners of TONEX Pedal, TONEX ONE, ARC Studio, UNO Synth, UNO Drum, UNO Synth Pro, and UNO Synth Pro X will not require a License Transfer Credit.“

So that seems to confirm what you‘re saying.

Thanks a lot!

Have a nice evening everyone!