ARC X Calibration Mic Placement

Hello there, just wondering about the mic placement when calibrating ARC X.

When moving the mic to different positions during calibration, it says keep the mic centered.

Does this mean always pointing directly to the center or keeping it parallel and vertically centered?

Since IK Multimedia doesn’t provide any specific guidelines for this (at least I couldn’t find anything in the manual), you have to assume that the measurement is always taken straight ahead.

While other measurement systems generally also allow for measurements at a 90° angle upward, this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, so one must assume that the 0° measurement with the microphone facing forward is the intended configuration.

In other words, no tilt on any axis.

That is what I also figured. I might send a tech request.

i just pointed it straight forward

You’re right: Sending a request to support (and posting their response in this thread) would still be really helpful!

I actually have the impression myself that the setup with the forward-facing microphone leads to some strange results, especially in a surround sound setup.

Perhaps there’s a technique recommended by the manufacturer that they simply forgot to mention in their manual…

doesnt the mic say FRONT and TOP on it? which should tell you how to position it?

I recommend somethibng like this to make your life easier Cold Shoe Bracket

It does have Front and Top written on it but this does not refer to any angled axis on a horizontal plane.

Jered from IK Support has gotten back to me and states, "The mic should always be facing straight forward with no tilt on any axis ".