Amplitube 4 latency in Reaper. Help please! [Resolved]

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 4 latency in Reaper. Help please! [Resolved]

Postby Willbilly79 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:14 am

Just picked up an ASUS Vivobook i5 with 8gb ram and a 512SSD.
Bought Amplitube 4 and installed it with no problem. Works great in stand alone mode.
But when I open it in Reaper I can't get rid of the latency. I lowered the buffer to 68ms and still have latency issues. I'm using a Steinberg UR22mk2 with usb 2 and have looked at many forums to try and solve this problem.
Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
Willbilly79

Re: Amplitube 4 latency in Reaper. Help please!

Postby dlgebert » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Willbilly79 wrote:I lowered the buffer to 68ms and still have latency issues.

I used Reaper for a few months before moving to Studio One, but 68ms is horrible for latency for realtime use. Did you mean 6.8 by chance? You need to get a least below 10ms, which is the MIDI standard since it's inception in the 1980's. At 10ms, you can play a chord on a MIDI device and all the notes sound like they were triggered at once.

For realtime guitar playing, the latency should be at least 5ms on an audio device. If you are actually getting 68ms, then either you have a very slow device, or you have the buffer set too high in Reaper. Can you change the buffer size down in Reaper to 16 samples, not ms and not have "Rice Krispies" (snap, crackle, pop) problems?

If Reaper doesn't allow you to set the buffer sample size that low, then it sounds like a device or driver issue, but you said using the standalone version runs ok. Are you using the ASIO4ALL driver?

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:55 pm

That is definitely too high for RTL. If you continue to have issues, I'd also suggest going directly to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support as I'm sure they can resolve your issue expediently. That setup shouldn't have any issues using AmpliTube 4.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Willbilly79 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help. Got it sorted. Turns out I just needed to change the audio system to ASIO and the driver to my interface. It's working great now.
The tip on sample rate really set me in the right direction to figure out how to set everything up.
Thanks again!!!
Will
Willbilly79

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling