Pops, stutters and clicks with Classic Clipper

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Pops, stutters and clicks with Classic Clipper

Postby Bigfrench05 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:42 pm

I am having issues with pops, stutters and clicks, which makes it almost impossible for me to mix a song in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9. System in Mixcraft is running at approx. 20-30% max. I thought my interface was the problem, but it appears that the issue is caused by the Classic Clipper plugin. I turn it off and everything seems to come back to normal. I only have 2 instances of it in my mix.

I made sure I have all the latest releases of my IK Plugins and software, with no improvement whatsoever. At the moment, the issue only seems to occur with the Classic Clipper. I was also using the de-esser but removed any traces of T-Racks plugins to avoid anymore problems.

Any ideas?
Bigfrench05

Re: Pops, stutters and clicks with Classic Clipper

Postby garfy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 am

Hi Bigfrench05

Bigfrench05 wrote:I am having issues with pops, stutters and clicks, which makes it almost impossible for me to mix a song in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9.

Does this still happen if you increase your latency/audio buffer to maximum? I've not heard of problems with the Classic Clipper - these older modules are supposed to be quite resource friendly really.

It may be something specific to your system. As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution, you should raise a ticket with IK official support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Bigfrench05 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 pm

I tried all buffer settings with no change. The only improvement I noticed is when I turn off the clipper. I use many instances of the Equal plugin, but this one doesn't seem to be causing the issue. I still need to explore a bit more to see if I can isolate the problem. Will submit a support ticket once I have a better idea, if it is indeed the problem.

I have another interface just to see if the problem is caused by the interface itself, which is what I thought originally. There are known driver problems with the M-Audio M-Track 2x2 interface. If I use the core audio WaveRT or the wave drivers, no problem.

I really don't think it's a problem with system resources as my system is running at around 20-30% CPU usage in Mixcraft. Ryzen 7 8-core with 16Gb RAM.

The funny thing is everything was fine, until I started using the clipper plugin. And the moment I turned it off, there was an immediate improvement. So that confused me even more. TBC
Bigfrench05

Postby neil.cummins1 » Fri May 31, 2024 8:38 am

May I enquire as to whether you got a formal response from IK Support,as I'm seeing quite high CPU load for just one instance of Clipper when looking at the Performance Monitor in Studio One v6.6?

I'm wondering if this is related to the level(if any)of oversampling set inside the plugin.My two other clipping plugins,KCLip3 and BX_Clipper both have selectable levels of oversampling in order to defeat aliasing distortion,and when set at 4x oversampling,both show the same CPU load as IK Clipper,in my setup at least(Win10,Intel i7 2.6GHz,32Gb RAM).

There doesn't appear to be any selectable oversampling rate in IK Clipper.

Any comments welcome.
Thanks,
Neil.
neil.cummins1

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox