Fake USB External Drive Caused Problems - Be Careful!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Fake USB External Drive Caused Problems - Be Careful!

Postby k_sac01 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:29 pm

I purchased a USB thumb drive from Amazon to hold the large amounts of sound files for this program and I work from desktop for development and a tablet for performance, so I needed an external drive.

I purchased an advertised 512GB thumb drive, but it was a fake. The true capacity was only 173GB - this may have caused some of my installation problems. Some of the sound .pak files appeared to be disappearing during testing as I had not installed all the sound files. When I tried to fill-up the entire drive by installing all the sound files onto it - it ran out of space - it should not have. Looking at the properties of the drive in Windows 10 - it reported 499GB, but was out of space. I went to a DOS prompt and ran a command and got the real info on the drive. If you have a concern about this - on a Windows machine do this (you should have at least one test file on the drive):

In the "Type here to search" area type: cmd {ENTER}
Type the drive letter for the drive with a : and press {ENTER}
Example: F:\ {ENTER}
Type: dir /s {ENTER}

It will give you the true capacity of the drive. I saw all sound .pak files disappear after I "removed" the path in SampleTank or uninstalled the SampleTank program. I don't know if this was because I performed those actions or if I had a "fake" drive.

I captured pictures and complained to Amazon and they removed all the USB drives from their site with that particular description, but apparently, this is a problem that keeps coming back. This gave me numerous days of headaches in trying to install SampleTank successfully. When you are talking about the large amount of sound files SampleTank has with their new product, it is extremely tempting to go with an external drive solution - and if you are using it in performance - thumb drives are the most portable. My advice - only purchase a thumb drive that has numerous good reviews. Also - I DID purchase a drive that was "Fulfillment by Amazon" and was an "Amazon Prime" item - I thought that would be good enough - NOPE - it wasn't. I was able to return with no problem, but it didn't save me from days of wasted time.
k_sac01

Re: Fake USB External Drive Caused Problems - Be Careful!

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

Sorry to hear you had this happen.

Just to be clear - you may be OK backing up SampleTank sound library installers on a USB thumb drive but you should not run them from a USB thumb drive.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More