Pedal order

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Pedal order

Postby Heph333 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 am

I'm a little confused by the pedalboard order in Amplitube. Is the signal path left to right? Because that's the opposite of a real board. Something so basic, yet I can't find anything concrete stating which way it flows.
Heph333

Re: Pedal order

Postby garfy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Pedal order is from left to right in AT4.

I guess some guitarists (me included) have their physical pedal board operating from right to left for a couple of reasons 1) I'm right-handed so for cable tidiness from guitar to board it makes sense to not have to run the cable in front of me, as it could get in the way when I need to sing into a mic on a stand 2) the ubiquity of Boss pedals (and others) having their inputs on the right and outs to the left.

However, the only thing that would stand in the way of having signal flow through a line of Boss pedals running from left to right instead, would be having to have longer patch leads which are available or can be made. Also, weirdly, you'll notice that 'all-in-one' units such as the Boss GT3 or ME5, the signal flow goes from left to right, so I'm not sure there is standard either way, just preference and ease of use. :geek:

I have seen an increasing number of pedals, especially boutique, that have their ins and outs on the top which kind of blurs the lines a bit.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: Pedal order

Postby Heph333 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for verifying it for me. Part of my confusion also stemmed from the fact that switching the order in AT4 doesn't impact the tone nearly as much as it does on a real pedalboard. i.e. Putting a boost in front of a drive vs after makes a massive difference on a real pedalboard, but I hardly notice a difference in AT4.

TBH, I didn't use pedals for the first 20 years that I played and the whole right to left thing was very confusing at first.
Heph333

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling