Windows updates and Amplitube?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Windows updates and Amplitube?

Postby deeaa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:42 am

How often do you find you need to re-authorize Amplitube software?

I just got the April Update for my old PC, a W10 system now (originally I guess XP, it's an old Core 2 machine) and lo and behold, AGAIN I had to download the authorization manager and re-insert all my serial numbers for Amplitube.

The Custom Shop works fine though, when I login, but it seems to me every time there's a bigger Windows Update Amplitube says this copy of Amplitube is not registered and I have to re-enter all the serials. Do you actually have to enter them all? Is it enough to just enter the Amp4 serial...I always enter everything right from the 2 and XGear thru 3 and all the packs of course, but maybe I'd only need to enter the newest ones?

I wish the whole system would somehow work more like it does on Android etc. so that you'd only need to login to the machine and it'd get all the authorizations for software directly. It's really really annoying when you haven't had the time to play in a month at all, and when you finally do, you just end up having to spend an hour going through the authorization bullshit because there's been a Windows Update.

Or would it be better just to cut off the machine from the network completely? I suppose that'd be the only option if I ever were to use Amplitube live - I can just see myself ready to go on stage and Amplitube says I need to re-load the authorization manager, and it happens somewhere with just a slow cellular connection...lol.

Or does even that help, even without the net connection it might want to verify being authorized every certain amount of time?

I love Amplitube but it's probably always gonna be my biggest issue that you can't just fire it up and play like a real amp, but every now and then and when you least would need it, there will be some update or reauthorization bullshit to get out of the way before you can play anything. How can you ever use it somewhere you can't be sure of your internet connection?
deeaa

Re: Windows updates and Amplitube?

Postby garfy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:36 pm

This does not sound like expected behaviour, unless there is a particularly large leap of OS, from say W7 to W10 and even then it would be weird.

In case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution, I would suggest you raise a ticket with IK official support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ as it looks like an isolated incident to your system.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby deeaa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah? Seems to me it asks for re registration very easily. I've had all Amp versoms since Xgear and on maybe 3 different machines over the years but I've run out of registrations on some of them. All you need to do is change to a new mother board or some other bigger update. Sometimes it seems just changing your network card is enough.

So nobody else got this with w10 April Update?
deeaa

Postby garfy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:39 pm

deeaa wrote:All you need to do is change to a new mother board or some other bigger update. Sometimes it seems just changing your network card is enough.

Well, this is a bit different to updating an OS. Swaping a mo-bo is a considerable change and so the software may view it as a new installation on a new machine.

If you have found you have run out of authorisations, contact support and explain the situation and they will help you out.
garfy

Postby deeaa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Yes, that is understandable, but this time I did nothing but enable the network adapter and update Windows, which I do every 6 months or so.

I have nothing besides W10 and Amplitube on this machine, and I keep it on 24/7 usually, sometimes 6 months in a row without rebooting, and then when I happen to remember, I'll enable the network adapter and let Windows update itself.

This time it wanted also to re-register for some reason.
deeaa

Postby garfy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 am

That is quite curious. I'm not really uptodate with operations in Windows these days, so I would suggest your best course of action will be to contact IK Support for some one-to-one help.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
garfy

Postby deeaa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 am

Hm, yeah...well I don't have a problem per session as I simply just re-register...I was just curious as to how common it is.

I don't know what to report really that could be of any help. Maybe next time it happens though I'll know it probably should not require re-registered and contact them then

But I have had similar issues years ago and back then what they did was just reset the authorizations so I don't run out of them.
deeaa

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling