Amplitube Mesa/Boogie weak tone/low gain

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube Mesa/Boogie weak tone/low gain

Postby yannickmaris » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

I've heard what Amplitube can do, but I fail to achieve good tones out of it. I'm sure it's a user error, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

This is is my signal chain:
Gibson Les Paul > Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 > Macbook Pro > Cubase Pro 9.5.

I've read that gain staging is very important. My input in my interface is just below clipping, so is my input in Cubase and Amplitube itself.

Even on channel 3 with the gain cranked, it still sounds crunchy.

I've tried presets from Amplitube and from Ola Englund, but even with tweaking it sounds nothing like what I've heard from others.

Thank you.
yannickmaris

Re: Amplitube Mesa/Boogie weak tone/low gain

Postby jjguitar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

What kind of pickups do you use ?
If you´re using vintage style pickups raise the gain on the overdrive pedal.
Tubescreamer or Boss SD- 1 are a good choice for tight Metal sounds.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby stateofepicicity » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:22 pm

I think that you want to increase your input gain in Amplitube itself; use the Input knob just above the lock symbol at the bottom left. Also, you don't want your interface itself to clip; that will only yield an overloaded signal (in a bad way). Instead, let your clipping come from Amplitube itself. :-)

If you increase the input gain in Amplitube, you can find a surprisingly great amount of gain without the use of OD pedals. I use a Les Paul too, and I just checked that on my presets I'm at 8.4dB on the Input Gain knob in Amplitube; that sets the gain staging just right for the high gain tones I love. I think that OD pedals are best when they color the tone the way you want. To me, these days you wouldn't want to use them just to increase the strength of the input to the amp; a clean boost can do the same thing without coloring your tone nearly as much (take a look at the Booster pedal from the Slash collection). I still would only use the Booster pedal if the Input knob wasn't enough. Mike Soldano said that modern amps should never need a pedal to have enough gain, and the Mark IV and Rectifiers certainly have enough on tap with the right amount of input gain! One other important point with the Rectifiers is that they do have a unique tone with regard to high gain pick attack; they feel softer. Even at extremely high gain, it can be looked at as a more refined tone, in a way. I had a friend who bought and returned both the Dual and Triple Recs early on because he could not accustom himself to the way those amps responded. As with any tone, it's a very personal thing. I feel, for a tone with really strong pick attack, the Mark IV is the way to go, just spend a LOT of time with the controls, and take a look at user manuals for the real amp online for guides on good tone settings as a basis to start.

Best of luck!
stateofepicicity

Postby DC42 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Some excellent info here. Input - output levels, speakers, mic placements, eq, etc. all effect tone. Keep tweaking and researching...

Dave
DC42

Postby jjguitar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

If you increase the input gain in Amplitube, you can find a surprisingly great amount of gain without the use of OD pedals. I use a Les Paul too, and I just checked that on my presets I'm at 8.4dB on the Input Gain knob in Amplitube; that sets the gain staging just right for the high gain tones I love.

very good point !
What kind of pickups do you use ?
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby stateofepicicity » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks! I have an Epi LP Standard, and my pickups are stock. I should also add that some time ago I installed the internal Redeemer buffer from Creation Audio Labs, which may be the best thing ever. The circuit does not change the output level of your pickups, but, for me, the tone is still infinitely better than stock.
stateofepicicity

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling