Feature request for Sampletank 3. NKS Support.

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Feature request for Sampletank 3. NKS Support.

Postby edtheuilleannpiper » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello folks.

I'm posting this little message and would ask that others who are interested to please comment further / support this little request.

For those who are aware of NKS support, you'll understand how Native Instruments and in particular Komplete Kontrol is becoming a large part of today's production scene, in top studios to mobile artists and engineers, etc.

I for one as a recording artist rely on both SampleTank 3 and Native Instruments, however, there is a matter that requires attention. I am here to ask for as much support from you all who read this including staff and developers alike, to include NKS support for SampleTank and other products relating to this. NKS allows users who work with Maschine and Komplete kontrol hardware, the ability to edit on the fly, browse patches, banks and categories on the fly and have better control from within any DAW that uses Komplete Kontrol or Maschine as a host or sub host interface.

If you are reading this article and believe that this would support you or can give better influence, or you're a member of the team at IK multimedia, please drop a message here.

All The Best

Ed The Piper.
edtheuilleannpiper

Re: Feature request for Sampletank 3. NKS Support.

Postby reidrosefelt0 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes, I would love that.

For some reason, I'm not even able to load it as a plugin with Komplete Kontrol. I think I will write another post to see if anybody else has this issue.
reidrosefelt0

Postby edtheuilleannpiper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:37 pm

reidrosefelt0 wrote:Yes, I would love that.

For some reason, I'm not even able to load it as a plugin with Komplete Kontrol. I think I will write another post to see if anybody else has this issue.

It can load as a plugin within komplete kontrol but has to be done through the UI's pull down menu. ignore the browser at the left, concentrate on the main window where the komplete kontrol logo centres, there's an arrow that you click on that gives file menus etc. go to the plugin menu and then you will be able to load the plugin. however, nothing is mapped AT ALL, so it defeats the purpose of the object.

I do think that IK multimedia does need to work on it's core functionality and accessibility of it's plugins to DAW's and host systems like komplete kontrol.
edtheuilleannpiper

Postby reidrosefelt0 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:42 pm

No, that's my point. I load all my other non-NKS 64 bit plugins from the drop down "plugins" menu, but SampleTank doesn't display there. Any advice for me?
reidrosefelt0

Postby edtheuilleannpiper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm

reidrosefelt0 wrote:No, that's my point. I load all my other non-NKS 64 bit plugins from the drop down "plugins" menu, but SampleTank doesn't display there. Any advice for me?

hmmm. that's interesting for me. it has done in the past. but I don't as it's not controller mapped so doesn't do what I need it to do within komplete kontrol. I really think we need to get in touch with IK developers and get this going
edtheuilleannpiper

Postby reidrosefelt0 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:56 pm

If it can be seen in the plugins dropdown, then I can create at least a 2 page map for 16 controllers using Controller Editor.

But there are lots of instruments that have been mapped in basic ways by users. These can be found on the NI forum. I have purchased excellent inexpensive NKS mapping for Omnisphere 2 and AIR Xpand!2 from this site:
http://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.php ... -vst-packs
reidrosefelt0

Postby edtheuilleannpiper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:59 pm

reidrosefelt0 wrote:If it can be seen in the plugins dropdown, then I can create at least a 2 page map for 16 controllers using Controller Editor.

But there are lots of instruments that have been mapped in basic ways by users. These can be found on the NI forum. I have purchased excellent inexpensive NKS mapping for Omnisphere 2 and AIR Xpand!2 from this site:
http://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.php ... -vst-packs

If Sampletank 3 could be mapped out near enough completely, this includes calling up libraries / presets, that would be a huge help to me.
edtheuilleannpiper

Postby reidrosefelt0 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm

It CAN easily be done, and in fact the guy from this site will do it for free if you gift him a copy of the software. He doesn't do it for software he doesn't legally own. If IK gave him a copy of the software, I think he would do it. Then we could all buy it from him for a few bucks. But it's not "real" NKS, because it turns up in the user patches area. Works the same way, though. You get all the controller mapping, and you can switch patches on your keyboard.

But IK needs to work with NI if they would to have NKS functionality so that SampleTank and Syntronik turn up on the main page not on the user page.

But first, I hope somebody can help me get SampleTank in the dropdown plugins menu. :D
reidrosefelt0

Postby edtheuilleannpiper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:09 pm

reidrosefelt0 wrote:It CAN easily be done, and in fact the guy from this site will do it for free if you gift him a copy of the software. He doesn't do it for software he doesn't legally own. If IK gave him a copy of the software, I think he would do it. Then we could all buy it from him for a few bucks. But it's not "real" NKS, because it turns up in the user patches area. Works the same way, though. You get all the controller mapping, and you can switch patches on your keyboard.

But IK needs to work with NI if they would to have NKS functionality so that SampleTank and Syntronik turn up on the main page not on the user page.

But first, I hope somebody can help me get SampleTank in the dropdown plugins menu. :D

For me to guide you further, I need to know what DAW, OS, etc you're using. my instructions and any possible remedies may not work without knowing what you're working with.
edtheuilleannpiper

Postby reidrosefelt0 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm using Sonar Platinum and Windows 10.

Currently when I hit the plugin dropdown menu in Komplete Kontrol, I see listings for AIR Music, AmpleSound, AAS, Cableguys, Cakewalk, Camel Audio, iZotope, Klevgrand, Korg, KV331 Audio, Loomer, Rob Papen, Spectrasonics, Toontrack, u-he, UVI, Waves, among many others.

Do you see IK Multimedia in your dropdown?

I use this all the time with no issues. When I add a VST it always turns up in that dropdown. The exception is if it is a 32 Bit. Komplete Kontrol needs 64 bit, but SampleTank is 64 bit.

In many cases I have used NI's Controller Editor to map out some of the controllers and the light guide. The problem is you can only do 2 pages with this.

I have used the edit section to tell Komplete Kontrol where SampleTank is on my hard drive, but that hasn't helped.
reidrosefelt0

Postby jackf723 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am

Bringing this thread back as I absolutely agree that NKS support is a must for Sample Tank 3 and4. The average user can at least use the thing without NKS support, a totally blind user like myself cannot, because the plugin does not work with screen readers whatsoever. If IK Multimedia is not aware, they have competitors in the portable hardware department superior to them such as the M32 coupled with the Komplete Kontrol software that have speech features for blind people to be able to control their instruments and parameters.

If Komplete and Sample Tank can coexist peacefully, there will be a number of people that will trust Sample Tank enough to purchase it. You may not think your numbers will go up by a lot, and I'll be the first to say that they won't. But take this as you will. One in twenty Komplete users take advantage of accessibility features. Think about that before calling accessibility a niche, or a burden to develop. In fact if you add NKS support it should not even be a burden, as the accessibility will have been already taken care of by Komplete.
I leave any IK Multimedia developers reading this with where I stand. On accessibility alone, adding NKS support to Sample Tank will assure you more customers. Sleep on this and things will be more difficult for us users who's close to only method of ineraction with Sample Tank would be through NKS. I still won't be able to call this an a-level product from a ui standpoint if I go through with plan b, but I am willing to make a homegrown preset library for Sample Tank. It won't be easy. It will probably not be quite as organized since it seems like some of the user libraries get thrown into alphabetical order, so hopefully I can get categories sorted out. And I hate to be that guy right out of the gate, but it likely is not going to be free, given the time and outside help I'll have to spend on this. Sample Tank's UI is completely inaccessible with a keyboard and screen reader. Think about that for a good minute. Imagine spending hundred of dollars for Sample Tank packages, hoping you'll get your money's worth. Imagine leading off to a bad start right out of the gate, being that Authenticator is not even accessible. Imagine waiting weeks for tech support to get back to you on that problem via email, finally allowing you to call (there was a nice person on the support line by the way, so to be fair I will give them credit where credit is due). Ok so now that you're finally registered, imagine pushing your data to the max downloading all your samples, because you want to get creative already. This is standard issue for any instrument package, but you're obviously going to be excited to get going with it. But then imagine being discouraged by the installation and licensing process requiring sighted assistance, because the screen reader can't read anything from it. Then finally, after it's all said and done, imagine opening up your daw, loading Sample Tank 4, and not a single thing reads out, and even the virtual mouse buttons in my screen reader do not do anything like they would in other applications. How would you feel? That's right, ripped off. You'd want the problem solved or your money back. Or maybe even both. It's too much money to spend to get this kind of customer treatment in return, a near complete lack of a uniform support process (I had felt like I had been forgotten as a customer during the time it took them to actually email me back.) I can totally understand this if it were an actual free product, but the fact is it is anything but free, so even if the tech support may have been helpful in getting me started with the process, the long wait isn't a vote of confidence if I can say so myself.
This would all be much easier on all of us if IK's developers would step up to the plate and do the right thing, but until they do I for one am not going to sit and wait when I have a good feeling I can at least try and improve the situation.
Thanks.
jackf723

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More