Connect USB-MIDI keyboard to iRig Pro Duo?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Connect USB-MIDI keyboard to iRig Pro Duo?

Postby xxx_xx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 am

Hi,

I currently have a USB-C keyboard (Akai MPK Mini), which I can play through my iPad using the camera-connection kit. My iPad has a Lightning cable input, and the CCK seems to power the Akai keyboard just fine.

How can I play the Akai MPK mini when my iRig Pro Duo is connected? The "midi" input on the iRig Pro Duo is through an 1/8 in jack (?). I have no idea how to go from the Akai USB output to a MIDI connection, particularly if the Akai is expecting power.
xxx_xx

Re: Connect USB-MIDI keyboard to iRig Pro Duo?

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:38 pm

The MIDI connection on iRig PRO is for 5-pin MIDI connectors (not USB) using a cable that plugs into the port you mention (and which is included with your iRig PRO).

Since the single lightning port on iOS devices can only have one accessory plugged in at a time you would either need to use iRig PRO's MIDI connection with a MIDI controller that has the appropriate connections or use your MIDI controller separately with a compatible lightning adapter.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby xxx_xx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:16 am

Can I use the iRig AND the USB-midi keyboard at the same time?
xxx_xx

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:18 pm

xxx_xx wrote:Can I use the iRig AND the USB-midi keyboard at the same time?

Since the iRig Pro DUO plugs into your device's only Lightning connector that would not be possible.

You may be able to use iRig Pro DUO's USB connection and your MIDI controller's USB connection at the same time with something like the Apple Camera Connection Kit and a USB hub but that would be something to experiment with and not guaranteed to work flawlessly if at all.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jgeastwood@gmail.com » Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 am

My Roland Aerophone uses USB to output the Midi signal.

How can I input this USB midi to the iRig Pro Duo?

JOhn
jgeastwood@gmail.com

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories