Using AmpliTube Onstage - How I Do It

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Using AmpliTube Onstage - How I Do It

Postby thomas.brunkard » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am

I've made a very long and boring (but highly detailed!) YouTube film on how I use AmpliTube on stage.

I'm using a Mac Mini and an iPad (using it as a touch screen!) as well as the Axe I/O and some midi over bluetooth. It sounds fantastic and i great to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZBkt5s51U

I'll write to IK on this but what I'd love for it to become a really slick live solution is:

• AXE I/O to be half rack mountable
  • A summing plugin
  • To be able to assign plugins to the different outputs within Amplitube (stage monitoring requires different tweaks than what a stereo FOH send needs
  • AmpliTube 5 iOS - the processors on the newer iPads and iPhones have got to be able to handle AmpliTube now. Having an iPad with one's iPhone as back-up is a compelling touring proposition.

If there are any questions please feel free to let me know!
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Re: Using AmpliTube Onstage - How I Do It

Postby tyranwyn2023 » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:35 pm

I have a few questions.

- Do you control Presets or individual pedals with your midi controller? Or both? And if both, how?
- How do you handle guitar changes? And pickups with different output levels (active/passive)?
- If you use presets, how do you balance the outputs against eachother?
- How do you hear the other instruments and vocals through the monitor?

Im trying to get my setup to work live, and have done so a few time, but i feel like i can optimize it more. I use an iRig BlueBoard as midi controller. It is nice that I can connect two external pedals (wah), but the buttons are not very user friendly (no click). Last concert I had, we had 15 minutes to soundcheck and we basically only tried to get the guitar setup to work. They kinda blamed my setup, but it turned out that there was something wrong with the DI cable (not mine).
tyranwyn2023

Postby thomas.brunkard » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:30 am

tyranwyn2023 wrote:I have a few questions.

- Do you control Presets or individual pedals with your midi controller? Or both? And if both, how?

I have a Morningstar MC6 which connects via Widi to the computer. I have it set up so that I can switch presets on the bottom row (PC changes) and do somethings with kicking effects in and out on the top row. I extended with a three way switch so that I can have separate pedals for bank scrolling and one for kicking in the harmoniser.

- How do you handle guitar changes? And pickups with different output levels (active/passive)?

I'm in a Queen tribute band so I have two Red Special type guitars with a strap mounted treble booster feeding a wireless transmitter. They're very hot as a result which one reason why I use the Axe I/O as it can take it!

If I had guitars that needed balancing I'd probably use either the input gain control on a preset and give that guitar its own preset or I'd use the other input on the interface with a Z-Tone DI to manage it. Just depends on how it needs to be treated to get the best sound and response

- If you use presets, how do you balance the outputs against eachother?

When I do major changes to the sound, I book a rehearsal room and I run the rig at stage volumes and use my ears and the VU to get everything where I need it. I don't have huge diversity of sound because of the nature of the gig but the 1970s stuff is a single Vox and the 1980s stuff is a wet dry chorus set up and they needed balancing which was an ear thing.

Balancing is not just levels, it's also managing the EQ curve (see Fletcher Munsen effect) so my presets have EQ to manage this at source.

- How do you hear the other instruments and vocals through the monitor?

I bring a pair of 8" monitors that are just for guitar. They're light, loud and stereo and that's important as the guitar needs to interact with the speakers to convincingly get the energy of the material out there. In our spec I ask for a wedge monitor as a side fill for Keys and also bass in really big venues. Freddie Mercury's wedges and the PA cover the vocal for me. The less that goes into a monitor, the more effective it is.

"Im trying to get my setup to work live, and have done so a few time, but i feel like i can optimize it more. I use an iRig BlueBoard as midi controller. It is nice that I can connect two external pedals (wah), but the buttons are not very user friendly (no click). Last concert I had, we had 15 minutes to soundcheck and we basically only tried to get the guitar setup to work. They kinda blamed my setup, but it turned out that there was something wrong with the DI cable (not mine)."

That's annoying. I bring a stereo DI - a Walrus Audio Canvas and always make sure the soundman knows what's coming in advance. Soundcheck for me is generally only two strums of a chord. In some venues I have to some work on my own monitors. Last weekend the stage was hollow so the sound was boomy. No problem though, I just mercilessly cut lots of bass and everything was well.

The key is spending that time working with your tones loudly. If they don't work there, they won't work on stage.

Hope that helps!
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby tyranwyn2023 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:03 am

Thank you very much for this extensive answer. I will probably come back to this if I have other questions :D
tyranwyn2023

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling