Need to Move Default Paths

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Need to Move Default Paths

Postby kelly_craven » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am

The default tone path is hard wired into the USER Documents Folder on Windows. This is VERY disruptive, and makes things almost unusable at times. Why? Because Documents is in OneDrive and OneDrive sucks, is slow, and I have it disabled often. Having it disabled doesn't affect saving but it blocks downloading if nothing but the token has been DLed the current machine (files aren't downloaded until accessed).

I was not able to run the standalone Amplitube until all tones were downloaded from OneDrive to the current machine. (I have three machines. This explains some issues I didn't understand on the other two. I've only installed the VST plug-ins on those machines.) I assume the speed to start up the app should be much quicker after all the tones are downloaded, but if any new tones are detected they need to DLed. I'd prefer having a local folder and I can copy tones I want, when I want them.

What happens when OneDrive is offline, or the machine isn't connected to the internet?

OneDrive is so slow Amplitube sat there DLing for about 45 minutes before it stopped showing "not responding". I have good internet. This is a OneDrive issue.

Furthermore, OneDrive on fresh installs of Windows defaults to moving Documents (and some other folders, like the Desktop) to OneDrive without asking. We can't back out of that until it's a done deal. Microsoft really screwed the pooch with these defaults. I got tired of undoing this and left Documents that way. (Office is MUCH happier)

IK Product Manager defaults to a download folder that's on OneDrive as well on these machines. Yet, my "Downloads" folder is NOT on OneDrive. I did not catch what the full path was in IK Product Manage, but either it doesn't exist or it's write protected. I was not able to install anything until changing that.

Regardless, how do we change the locations of any paths that go to OneDrive?

This is both Windows 10 and Windows 11.
kelly_craven

Re: Need to Move Default Paths

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 pm

I have systems on both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

OneDrive does has a "Documents" folder in each system. But the main Documents folder is not within OneDrive on either system. its location is C:\Users\<<Account name>>\Documents.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby kelly_craven » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:40 pm

Mine has non-OneDrive Documents as well.

How do I change IK Multimedia software to use that Documents, and not the one on OneDrive? OneDrive it the problem, not specifically Documents.

These are the paths on my machines, all three of them.

C:\Users\Kelly\Documents
C:\Users\Kelly\OneDrive\Documents
kelly_craven

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:57 pm

Sorry, I do not know.

The best thing to do is contact Technical Support via the IK Multimedia web site. You'll need to Search the FAQs first, then you will see a button linking you to the Tech Support contact form
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Frankencat63 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:42 pm

Please post the answer to this question. Thanks!
Frankencat63

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling