Tonex Pedal - Hum makes it unusable

Forum for ToneNET - AmpliTube TONEX and AmpliTube 5’s preset sharing community.
Together we rock nonstop

Tonex Pedal - Hum makes it unusable

Postby geosof » Wed May 22, 2024 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a new Tonex Pedal Special Edition from Thomann, and it makes so much hum that is not possible to use it.

I searched around and I found that a better power supply can stop that problem. I tried my Roland GR-55 power supply, and although the hum is less, it's not gone completely.

It looks like there is grounding issue with these devices, so I am not sure if it makes sense to request a replacement...

However, i really like the tones i get out of Tonex, so before I send it back i wanted to check here if you have any thoughts about it or if you could provide some kind of support.

Thanks!
Georgios
geosof

Re: Tonex Pedal - Hum makes it unusable

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 22, 2024 6:36 pm

There should be no global noise nor "grounding issue" with TONEX Pedal, there is low-to-no noise when using it for many, I'm sure IK Support can assist you to have the same experience via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/hw

Also, if you have it connected to your computer you should consider USB bus noise is an issue that you should be able to resolve by choosing the right USB port and/or using a hub or similar.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby geosof » Wed May 22, 2024 7:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

First I tried the pedal as a standalone device by connecting my guitar and monitoring through my headphones. Huge hum.

Then I connected the pedal to my Mac in order to load some presets, and this time the pedal caused the same hum noise to my Sacrlet interface connectivity, something that I never had before when connecting my guitar to my audio interface to use the Tonex software.

Then i switched power supplies. Less hum, but still there.

Then i tried to connect the pedal to external speakers, same hum.

Long story short, when I am using Tonex on my ipad, i get no hum.
When i am using the pedal with the same preset, i get that hum, even with clean presets (although it's less).

That makes me think that the pedal has a grounding issue, which though seems to be the case for many users, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Georgios
geosof

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 22, 2024 8:30 pm

It is NOT an issue for many users, it was even used live on the Jimmy Kimmel show recently by a professional guitarist. I've played at least 20 different TONEX Pedals into different power sources and under different conditions and at different locations without this issue. Thousands of users are out there playing their TONEX Pedal without this hum.

Please open a ticket with support and don't assume a) what people write on forums is exactly what is happening and b) especially don't assume it is exactly the same issue you are having.

Since you seem to want to just say it is a global issue with the pedal itself, this thread has run its course but you will get direct assistance from IK Support to resolve your issue. That will be your best avenue.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to ToneNET preset sharing community