Why do I need to stay online? Cybercrime risk

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Why do I need to stay online? Cybercrime risk

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:25 pm

Last week I downloaded the new IK Product Manager. I really regret doing so and I recommend you will not download it either.

In the past years I bought several IK Multimedia software software instruments and tools. From now on, apperently, I can only use the IKM software instruments and tools when I am logged in at the IKM Product Manager. Why is this? I don't rent the software, I bought it! :evil:

IK Multimedia is now forcing me to let my internet connection open to IKM, which results in a computer vulnerabillity. I don't want this htreat of course. What is the point of all this? :?
arnold_v_guitar

Re: Why do I need to stay online? Cybercrime risk

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:06 pm

You do not need to remain online to use IK products, but of course you would need to be online while using IK Product Manager to download and authorize the products initially.

You also need to be online to demo certain IK software, but that's only during the demo period, and of course you'll need to be online to access online communities like ToneNET (but once you download the presets or Tone Models you don't need to remain connected to continue using them).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi Peter, unfortunately this is incorrect.
After authotising the amplitube software, when i log out of product manager the amplitube amps and fx are locked. When i lov in agIn they are unlocked.
Strange behaviour
arnold_v_guitar

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:15 pm

When I want to use the plugins I have to re-authorise all the plugins every time in the product manager. Trial out period expired (These are not try outs, these are my bought plugins) When I logout of the product manager a message is shown: logout warning
Before you logout, please be aware of the following
- upon logging out, active subscriptions will be accessible for an offline period of 72 hourss
- after 72 hours are up, you will need to log back into IK Product manager to reactivate your subscription based products

I dont have subscription based products, it is bought.
What are IK subscription based products products?
arnold_v_guitar

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:24 am

This behaviour occurs since I installed IK Product Manager 1.0.9
Versions before 1.0.9 worked as described by Peter_IK.

If you need any more specifics from me, please let me know
Anybody else experiencing this issue?
arnold_v_guitar

Postby Enricorode1009 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:17 pm

arnold_v_guitar wrote:When I want to use the plugins I have to re-authorise all the plugins every time in the product manager. Trial out period expired (These are not try outs, these are my bought plugins) When I logout of the product manager a message is shown: logout warning
- upon logging out, active subscriptions will be accessible for an offline period of 72 hourss
- after 72 hours are up, you will need to log back into IK Product manager to reactivate your subscription based products

I have the same Problem on all of my Computers no answer for a fix now.
Enricorode1009

Postby Guitboxgeek » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:13 pm

I have seen similar behavior. Sometimes my Amp5 plugin locks items that I own until I open my internet up via firewall.

I also recently had my Tonex plugin make static noise as if in demo mode and I had to connect it to the internet to make it stop (and I own the ToneX pedal!). I really don't like the copy protection scheme if that's what this is.
Guitboxgeek

Postby dougb415 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 pm

I'm not having this issue with the latest Product Manager. I can use ToneX or Amp 5 without having Product Manager open. Using a Mac Mini running Monterey 12.7.1.
dougb415

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:41 am

This is not the intended behavior as you can see it doesn't happen for the commenter above. Please contact IK Support if you have an issue and they will resolve it for you. Thank you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:43 am

arnold_v_guitar wrote:When I want to use the plugins I have to re-authorise all the plugins every time in the product manager. Trial out period expired (These are not try outs, these are my bought plugins) When I logout of the product manager a message is shown: logout warning

AmpliTube 5 is not a subscription product. That only applies to Pianoverse which has a subscription option (but also perpetual license options).
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:51 am

Thanks all for your replies. I raised a ticket at IK Support and mentioned that I am not the only one with this issue. I'm looking forward for a solution. I intend to let you know the solution when it is available.
arnold_v_guitar

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:57 am

Hi @Peter_IK and other readers for this post.
I just received a reply from the IK Helpdesk, the answer is confusing me.

Hello Arnold,
Thanks for your patience while we got back to you. That message is normal as we have new subscription based software products.
Are you retaining internet connection? If not; the software may unauthorize. :o
If not, can you provide us with a video or screenshots of the behaviors you are encountering?

I really donnot understand the sentence "Are you retaining internet connection? If not; the software may unauthorize.". I explicitly remarked I bought all of the software, I don't have the any subscription (no Pianoverse).

Anybody understand what they mean?
arnold_v_guitar

Postby Guitboxgeek » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:27 pm

arnold_v_guitar wrote:Hi @Peter_IK and other readers for this post.
I just received a reply from the IK Helpdesk, the answer is confusing me.

Hello Arnold,
Thanks for your patience while we got back to you. That message is normal as we have new subscription based software products.
Are you retaining internet connection? If not; the software may unauthorize. :o
If not, can you provide us with a video or screenshots of the behaviors you are encountering?

I really donnot understand the sentence "Are you retaining internet connection? If not; the software may unauthorize.". I explicitly remarked I bought all of the software, I don't have the any subscription (no Pianoverse).

Anybody understand what they mean?

I'll take a shot at translating: The software needs to connect to the internet periodically to remain "authorized" which in my opinion is a terrible solution to copy protection.
My studio PC is OFFLINE 99% of the time. I cannot risk having my client's data ruined because my kids let something onto our network. This makes using IKM's software a huge pain in the ass and we have to do a special dance because we decided to pay for the software instead of the alternative. It punishes us, no one else. I even have the damned hardware pedal! You'd think it could use that as proof I paid for the software version.
Guitboxgeek

Postby arnold_v_guitar » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:42 pm

Peter_IK wrote:This is not the intended behavior as you can see it doesn't happen for the commenter above. Please contact IK Support if you have an issue and they will resolve it for you. Thank you.

I already put up an issue, have you raised one on this also? If not, please do so.
And maybe Peter_IK can contact the IK Support desk to shine a light on this issue? :|
arnold_v_guitar

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:01 pm

You do not need to stay online 99% of the time. IK Support is who should be asked to clarify what they stated to you in a ticket, note the rules about bringing a support ticket into this forum - it is inefficient and ineffective. Please continue to work with IK Support and they will continue to assist you and explain anything you don't understand from your ticket directly.

This thread seems to have run its course and devolved into some misunderstanding and misinformation based on passing support ticket information back and forth into the forum (which is not a support forum) so to avoid further confusion this thread will be locked.

IK Support will continue to assist you and clarify the authorization technology with which you are having an issue.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling