Is it ok to clip the input in Amplitube?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Is it ok to clip the input in Amplitube?

Postby pkdawg » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:56 pm

I know there's been a lot of discussion about this input and gain levels. If I keep my signal just under clipping on my audio device then run the DI signal to Amplitube, I need to goose the input to at least +6db to get the gain levels out of the Mesa Boogie amps to be anywhere near the real ones. At 6db and a little clipping happens, but it sounds fine and I don't hear the clipping like I would if I clipped my interface input or the output of Amplitube.

Is the input really clipping in a bad way for some of these models? I know if it sounds good, it is good, but when I see red in a digital realm it's always something to question. I just don't hear it on the input. It does sound a over the top if I max it though.
pkdawg

Re: Is it ok to clip the input in Amplitube?

Postby Matthias Mueller » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:33 am

No, there should be no problem. (no clipping, just a red light...)
especially if youre using 32 bit float
Matthias Mueller

Re: Is it ok to clip the input in Amplitube?

Postby darkogav » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:45 pm

Its fine to clip. I suggest go with what sounds good to you. In my case, it will depend on the amp model. They behave differently to different input gains levels. I also find I have to have it around +6 to get decent high gain tones out of some of the emulated amp model.
darkogav

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling