AT5 Overpowers Other Instruments When Recording

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 Overpowers Other Instruments When Recording

Postby Gearoid58 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:01 pm

Dear Members, I just got a new iMac with the M1 chip and AmpliTube 5. I was formerly using Line 6 stuff. I love the tones and versatility that AT5 provides—truly amazing! However, the output signal is too loud to listen and record over prerecorded stuff in my DAW (Logic Pro X). The guitar signal dominates the mix. I thought by dropping the volume out put on the EQ slider would eliminate this. But all that it does is turn down the amp, which is not what I want. It almost seems that the AT5 input signal needs some kind of attenuator as a post-EQ effect in the signal chain. What I have been doing is dropping the gain on the audio interface to a really low level, but the guitar is still louder than the prerecorded bass, drums, rhythm guitar parts. (BTW: The signal is not clipping at all; it's fine). Once recorded, it sounds great, but I would prefer to hear the other instruments when I am recording. It’s not unlike when other bandmates tell you turn down your guitar because it is too loud! :-D What am I doing wrong, what steps am I missing here? Any suggested work arounds? Thanks so much!
Gearoid58

Re: AT5 Overpowers Other Instruments When Recording

Postby blueshift9 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 pm

You don't want to be dropping the gain on your interface, you want that to be as high as can be without any clipping so you have the cleanest noise floor.

Not sure if you are just playing or recording, but on playback just lower the fader on your A5 tracks, that is your output volume for that track(s).
blueshift9

Postby Gearoid58 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:28 pm

Thanks for the tip regarding gain. I will give that a try. When recording/playing/rehearsing the guitar signal is too loud (but it's not clipping). The guitar signal simply overshadows, drowns out, the other recorded instruments. I can't really hear the other instruments that well. It records just fine. I want to lower the volume level of the AT5 the way an attenuator would and send that signal into the mixing board.
Gearoid58

Postby Matthias Mueller » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:39 pm

blueshift9 wrote:You don't want to be dropping the gain on your interface, you want that to be as high as can be without any clipping so you have the cleanest noise floor.

I would be careful with this advice, but thats a different story and i dont want to dicuss it here ;)
(but as long you dont clip, its fine, no worries :) )

I think, the thing what you mean is the output gain. If you are using the plugin inside a DAW, on the bottom right is the slider for it. It just makes your signal louder or quiter.
or as bluefish said, you can use the track fader in your daw.
Matthias Mueller

Postby darkogav » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:53 pm

There are multiple ways to fix this. What I recommend is keep all your levels at 0 in the DAW, and reduce within the mixer.

In the mixers section in AT5 yon can reduce the output of the plugin. The red button under "master".

darkogav

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling