Tonex pedal setup: single coils vs humbuckers?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex pedal setup: single coils vs humbuckers?

Postby Polarbear925 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:04 am

I picked up my Tonex pedal about two months ago and have been having all kinds of goodness since day one. These is, however, a question that has popped up.
I have the pedal on my board and it works great for the most part. My current guitar setup onstage has me with a Telecaster for some songs and a Les Paul (clone) for others. Mid-set switching between guitars with different pickup kits (single-coils vs humbuckers) has resulted in some minor knob-fiddling that kinda holds things up at times. I'd like to eliminate or at least reduce this timesuck if I could. The first idea that came to mind was to load two different sets of presets in specific sets for each guitar (odd-numbered banks for one type of pickups, evens for the other, for example). I realize this will be putting me to work for a bit duplicating and adjusting the various presets, but I have a feeling this could eventually be the solution that gives the best results with minimal onstage downtime.
Anyone else have other ideas for this conundrum? Any info helps. Thanks
Polarbear925

Re: Tonex pedal setup: single coils vs humbuckers?

Postby Stompy231 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:45 pm

I have a Solar guitar with original pickups which are very hot. As much as I would like to sound like in a demo IK Multimedia video (https://youtu.be/yLwL6nmLS1Q), loading the same exact preset, it is just impossible. Similarly I compared a model by Jason Sadites, and I never can get the same sound. However, I'm not surprised at all. I don't have any of the guitars they have.

After this long introduction I'll just say, the differences are inevitable. Just prepare another set of presets and you're golden. Actually, we're in a much better place with ToneX Pedal, since if you had a single amp on stage, you would have to correct things manually or with some boosts or whatever.
Stompy231

Re: Tonex pedal setup: single coils vs humbuckers?

Postby Polarbear925 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:21 am

Both guitars got Seymour Duncan updates. The Tele got a Quarter Pound kit and the LP got a set of Pearly Gates humbuckers. I'm gonna put both of them thru a handful of presets to see the push difference between the two. Once I get a baseline, I should have a pretty good idea of what I'll have to do to balance them out. Then I can go about setting up specific presets for each guitar. Gonna take some work, but it oughta be worth it.
Mockup image of pedalboard in progress: https://imgur.com/IaxiAlF
Polarbear925

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling