DR. Z Z Wreck Model - Gain Structure

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

DR. Z Z Wreck Model - Gain Structure

Postby jjguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:28 pm

Today I´ve found an interesting video of the original Z Wreck model. The guy showed how the amp sound changes when the volume knob increased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv82b0sLmEU

At 11:10 he turned the volume up and the amp began to distort.
I´ve tried to achieve a similar sound with my Telecaster but I can´t get it to distort even if I put the input slider at +15dB. I have to put the "Slash" booster in front of the amp and raise it fully (+20dB). Is this normal to boost this model with +35dB to get a similar distorted sound? My audio interface gain is set to 0dB.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Re: DR. Z Z Wreck Model - Gain Structure

Postby Matthias Mueller » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Hi jj

Have you tried what i explained in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29580

Please try and tell me if it helps.
Matthias Mueller

Postby machinated » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:19 pm

Its entirely possible you are doing everything correct, and you just need to boost an enormous amount to get the correct gain response from the amp. In some cases that means boosting over 20dB, depending on the particular amp model and your input headroom.

I would recommend asking IK for accurate internal operating levels so you can set an input level in the plugin that yields consistent and accurate results, just as you'd get from plugging directly into the amp.

Without this information, all you can do is guess what is correct. A good way of guessing is to do what you have done - compare to a real world example of the amplifier and try and match the response. Amp sims can handle a LOT of input level so even if it feels weird boosting, if it sounds correct then you are fine. Most Amplitube models seem to need a very hot input signal to get close to a real world gain level.

The only way to know for sure is if IK can give more detailed documentation.
machinated

Postby jjguitar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:00 pm

Matthias Mueller wrote:Hi jj

Have you tried what i explained in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please try and tell me if it helps.

Hi,

I´ve sent you a pm!
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby jjguitar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:06 pm

machinated wrote:
I would recommend asking IK for accurate internal operating levels so you can set an input level in the plugin that yields consistent and accurate results, just as you'd get from plugging directly into the amp.

That´s the main question :!:
@IK Peter: Please ask the development team how to set the correct input level.
It would be great to have a tutorial :?
jjguitar

Postby jjguitar » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:40 pm

Any users with the same gain problem on this particular model (DR.Z Z Wreck) ?
jjguitar

Postby machinated » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:52 pm

Just trying it now using this video as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsfw_N_arr0

My input headroom is 11.4dBu - this usually gives me enough room to pick hard with humbuckers and not clip. With single coils, its still a healthy loud signal.

To match the tone in the video, first I put the slash boost at +20dB.

Still very undergained.

Next I boosted with the input slider. I think it needs at least 10dB from here, and possibly the full 15dB.

That means, for accurate levels of gain, this model needs an input of -23dBu.

If you need help working out what your input headroom is (the amount you need to boost will depend on how much headroom you record with, and this is different for everyone), I made some videos that will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXKZqJtjLkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO8L7HXNT4E

We would need IK to verify if this is correct, its impossible to guess with any accuracy although I guess we know that this model needs an enormous boost to behave like the real amp. WOW.
machinated

Postby jjguitar » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:31 pm

@machinated
Thank you very much for testing the Z Wreck! It´s very interesting to see other people´s opinion.
What´s your opinion when putting a Tubescreamer in front of the amp and keeping the +20dB boost from the Slash booster & +15dB from the input slider.
jjguitar

Postby machinated » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:36 pm

jjguitar wrote:@machinated
Thank you very much for testing the Z Wreck! It´s very interesting to see other people´s opinion.
What´s your opinion when putting a Tubescreamer in front of the amp and keeping the +20dB boost from the Slash booster & +15dB from the input slider.

if you put the Tubescreamer in front, it’s no longer an emulation of the Z Wreck, you have something that doesn’t sound quite like a Z Wreck and a Tubescreamer. It’s normal to have to adjust the input level because Amplitube won’t be able to detect what converters and input gain you are using. So it’s absolutely normal to adjust level, and maybe Amplitube models seem to need values like 12dBu, 0dBu, -3dBu, -6dBu etc so it’s quite wide ranging as is.

IMO, the first thing to aim for is to get the amp responding as it should, and then from there the user can dial in the tone they like (adding a tubescreamer might be a nice way to shape the tone, but maybe it’s not needed with the right input level).

Without more information from IK it’s impossible to say if it needs a huge input level or if it’s a problem with the model.
machinated

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling