No return signal w/ Tonex Capture

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

No return signal w/ Tonex Capture

Postby jaycal6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:22 am

I just spent a couple hours trying to figure out the Tonex Capture box, and I can't get it to work. I'm using a UAD Apollo Twin. Trying to capture an amp head.

-Guitar into Line 1/hi-z input of Apollo
-Line Out 3 from Apollo to Tonex Capture Line Input

>So far this seems to work fine. I can see the input level in the Tonex software and I set it so it's not clipping.

-To Amp on the Tonex Capture to instrument in on the amp

> This seems fine, too. When I play I hear signal from the amp.

-Speaker cable from the amp head speaker out into the From Amp on the Tonex Capture.
-Line Output from the Tonex Capture to Line 2 Input on the Apollo (set to line level).

> This is where things seem to fall apart. With no attenuation on the Capture, and the amp cranked, the clipping indicator never turns orange. Switch is set to Power Out.
> No signal coming into the Apollo on Line 2 Input
> In the Tonex software, when the capture process asks me to check return levels, there's no signal coming in.

Any ideas on what to check? Is there a setting I'm missing on the Apollo maybe? A routing thing?
jaycal6

Re: No return signal w/ Tonex Capture

Postby jaycal6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:46 pm

UPDATE: Tried capturing the amp again today, this time micing a real cab and running that return signal back into the Apollo. When I turn up the mic input on the Apollo to get the right level, though, I get massive feedback out of my cabinet. Maybe that's a clue? I would REALLY love to see a video walkthrough of how to set the Apollo Console software to get this to work correctly.
jaycal6

Postby Smaxo303 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:13 pm

Did you use the cab in your first setup? Always connect a cab (load) to your amp, you can damage the amp other wise.

Smaxo303

Postby jaycal6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks for that routing pic! That's exactly one of the setups I tried.

I've tried connecting a cab to the Capture box, connecting a reactive load to the Capture box, and I've tried micing the cab and routing that back to the Apollo Twin directly. Nothing seems to work. I'm not hearing the return amp signal.

It might be a UAD Apollo/Console issue. Within Console should input 1 (hi-z guitar in) or input 2 (return from Capture box or return from mic) be muted?

When I get to this page in Tonex, I don't get any signal. And when I try to play those pre-recorded guitar test parts, nothing plays.

jaycal6

Postby Smaxo303 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:55 pm

Maybe a minor thing, but there is a little switch on the capture box for switching the output level from the amp. Depending on the used amp out (power amp out or line out of the amp).

If you connect like this, there must be an issue in the interface routing.

So far I understand the Tonex software makes the routing. I guess the console is the apollo software mixer for routing. You don't have to use direct outs or open connections thru the mixer. Just to the Tonex software and out of the software.

I just modeled pedals so far, maybe a good starting point for you too.
If this works with the interface - expand and explore.
Smaxo303

Postby jaycal6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:14 pm

Thanks again. Maybe the Apollo Console audio routing software is causing an issue in some way. I’ll try again just to capture a pedal, since that seems simplest. I tried before but still couldn’t get any return signal from the Capture box to the input on Apollo. So frustrating!
jaycal6

Postby Smaxo303 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 pm

You don't need the capture box for this. I just use the audio interface. Good luck!
Smaxo303

Postby jaycal6 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:24 pm

USER ERROR! In the UAD Console software I had line 3/4 set to mix instead of cue. So the send/return was creating a crazy feedback loop. Capturing an amp head right now, so we'll see how it goes.
jaycal6

Postby ghettorokstudios » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am

i am having this same issue using scarlet 18i20 interface. i don’t think i have an option to switch between mix and que. i am still very confused on how i am supposed to route the xlr di coming out of the capture box. some please help.
ghettorokstudios

Postby jfischer518 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:13 am

ghettorokstudios wrote:i am having this same issue using scarlet 18i20 interface. i don’t think i have an option to switch between mix and que. i am still very confused on how i am supposed to route the xlr di coming out of the capture box. some please help.

I have an 8i6 and also having the same issue. In addition if I turn up the outputs I get nothing but feedback
jfischer518

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:37 pm

If you are using the diagrams in the manual and still having trouble, please report your issues to IK Support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will assist you directly, thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jfischer518 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If you are using the diagrams in the manual and still having trouble, please report your issues to IK Support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will assist you directly, thank you.

I did over the weekend and still waiting for a reply
jfischer518

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:15 pm

Please see the forum guidelines post if you have a ticket you feel hasn't been handled to your satisfaction as this is not a tech support forum: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505

Thank you
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jfischer518 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Please see the forum guidelines post if you have a ticket you feel hasn't been handled to your satisfaction as this is not a tech support forum: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you

We are not allowed to talk to each other about issues and help each other resolve them?
jfischer518

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:22 pm

jfischer518 wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:Please see the forum guidelines post if you have a ticket you feel hasn't been handled to your satisfaction as this is not a tech support forum: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505

Thank you

We are not allowed to talk to each other about issues and help each other resolve them?

Where did I say that? I was replying specifically to your comment about your ticket taking too long.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling