Trimming input volumes between Tonex pedal and software

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Trimming input volumes between Tonex pedal and software

Postby Richiaccion7 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:12 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a Tonex pedal and I am having issues matching the sound of the same amps in the pedal and in the software.

I have used the input trimming setting in the pedal and I can match one or several similar presets to sound the same in both platforms. But then I change to a very different amp model and that particular one doesn't work and sounds different when going from the pedal to the software. The gain changes from the pedal to the software.

So what is the recommended procedure to match both of them on all circumstances?

Trimming settin in the pedal is a global setting and I can't adjust it by preset. But I would like to know that when searching for tones in the software I can trust that they are going to sound the same in the pedal.

I am using the same guitar, with Fishman Modern pickups (high output active pickups) and a Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen. I am connecting the guitar direct to input 1 of the Focusrite and the Tonex Pedal to input 2. Using an A/B pedal to change from direct to pedal.

Both inputs are at 0dB gain and in Instrument mode.

Thanks in advance!
Richiaccion7

Re: Trimming input volumes between Tonex pedal and software

Postby Richiaccion7 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:58 pm

Ok, didn't get any help here but I will reply to my own post for anyone having the same issue.

ToneX pedal has line level output, not instrument level. So once I adjusted my interface to line input level, then I had to add some gain to that input to match the level of the ToneX plugin.

Then with the trim input in the ToneX pedal at -13dB the tones are exactly the same across the board in both platforms.
Richiaccion7

Postby Upright » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:24 am

Glad you figured it out. I was thinking it might have something to do with your gain staging. I think the most important aspect in figuring this out is the trim input as well as the gain stages between your Tonex pedal and the software, if any. My input trim just happens to give me the exact same tone at -3db but I'm running through a mixer before I hit my audio interface. Another important aspect is making sure the preset you're using in the pedal and software are set identically. Anyway, glad you figured it out.
Upright

Postby paulmphillips » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:53 pm

So the pedal, in live mode, has line-level output? That's a bit confusing as typically one would think that the output would be instrument level like with any other guitar pedal. I suppose it is what it is, but if there was one thing I would change on this thing it would be the way creating a preset in the software and then using the library to transfer it to the pedal works. You can spend a lot of time crafting a preset and then it just isn't remotely the same coming from the pedal. Adjusting internal trim for every preset is incredibly time consuming.
paulmphillips

Postby Marco2073 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:43 pm

The input Trim is Global...
Marco2073

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling