Tonex pedal - Background "plink" on high gain presets

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex pedal - Background "plink" on high gain presets

Postby DigiBro23 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:26 pm

New to Tonex, but not new to digital stuff, previous Helix user. Setup is pretty simple, guitar->Tonex pedal->headphones.

Anybody else hearing a faint quick plinky ring in the background after you hit a note on higher gain presets? I hear it more when I hit a percussive dead note than when I'm strumming along. It's almost like somebody is hitting a chain link fence in the background every time I hit a note. I don't hear it in every preset/tone model, but I hear it in a large majority of them. I hear it in the included presets/tone models and also in downloaded tone models from Tone Net.

Guitar is a Les Paul Custom with a Nashville bridge, so no ringing retaining wire on the bridge. Headphones are Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros, I've tried others to make sure it wasn't the headphones. I've also tried turning on/off reverb to see if that is the issue, no go.

I made a quick recording into a DAW on my iPhone but I don't know where to post it and you'd probably need headphones to really hear it.

Anyhoo, just curious if anybody else is having the same issue and might know of any settings I can check. Thanks!
DigiBro23

Re: Tonex pedal - Background "plink" on high gain presets

Postby vintagecharlie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:44 am

If you are referring to that delay-like effect of a DI signal, i hear it in many Tone Models and sometimes i get the same issue (on the plugin). It is in particular audible with higher gain, yes.
Usually i already hear that the issue is about to be there when i listen to the frequency sweep test signals - they sometimes have like a delay tail after them and this is when the Tone Models will have this issue.
These trails in the test signals randomly appear and disappear. I contacted support about this, i was advised to adjust buffer length, but that has no effect what so ever.
I managed to get rid of it frantically turning my interface (axe I/O) off and on many times. Sometimes it just does not go away what ever you do and i come back to capturing at a later point and its gone.

What interface do you use? Or do you use the pedal as an interface?
vintagecharlie

Postby DigiBro23 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm

I'm using the pedal, but I also hear it using the app (Windows 10 PC) with my Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Honestly it's driving me nuts. I've tried different headphones and guitars. But as I mentioned, I don't here it on every preset/tone model and I didn't hear playing through a Headrush FRFR-108. Maybe it's an issue specific to the headphones. Who knows? I just play the presets that don't have that issue at this point. I didn't get any other responses here or in the FB group so I'm thinking it's just me.
DigiBro23

Postby vintagecharlie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm

I don't think everyone notices. It is not very obvious on all Tone Models and of course there is the chance that not everyone has the issue. Out of interest, do you hear the issue in these tone models: https://www.tone.net/tonex/users/amalgamaudio ?
vintagecharlie

Postby DigiBro23 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:27 pm

No issues with those, I've had the JTM50 presets for a bit.

The first time I noticed it, and still do, was on the included preset called "TS 800". It's probably the biggest offender.
DigiBro23

Postby vintagecharlie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:32 pm

Yes, so i think it is something that has to do with the capturing process and the artefacts that sometimes come up within it.
I could not identify the Tone Model you referred to - would love to try it out, just to confirm that we are talking about the same thing, though i am quite sure we are.
vintagecharlie

Postby DigiBro23 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:37 pm

It came pre-loaded on the pedal and in the app. If you go to presets, it's called "TS 800"

DigiBro23

Postby vintagecharlie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Oh, yeah, that's definitely what i am talking about! :) I hear it as a delayed DI signal, but plink is much more catchy ;)
vintagecharlie

Postby DigiBro23 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:45 pm

Oh thank god I'm not crazy!
DigiBro23

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling