We really need Undo

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

We really need Undo

Postby gkurtenbach » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:39 pm

Amplitube 5 has been out for while but still no undo functionality--and there some interactions where you can inadvertantly really mess up a setup and its really hard to correct. Undo is simple needed.

I associate low quality, unprofessional plugins with having no undo.

Yes, I'm trying to shame IK into adding undo.

I once worked on a massive CAD app with no undo, all the engineers said it was impossible to add. Eventually, a great engineer stepped up and said she was going to attempt it. A couple months later we shipped it "now with undo"! Our customers loved it, of course!

If others feel the same way please post!

PS: are there other good amp sims that have undo?
gkurtenbach

Re: We really need Undo

Postby Cabezon_IK » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:07 pm

Hello there.

Unfortunately this is somewhat true to a degree.
Undo is available in standalone. However DAW's can be a bit different.

Pending on the project and if it can be done within standalone then there shouldn't be any issue.

Now if there's something I'm not grasping here feel free to elaborate a bit more.
But it should be there in standalone.

Cheers
Cabezon_IK

Postby gkurtenbach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:43 am

I didn't know undo works in standalone. Really? I never use standalone.

I use the vst plugin. The DAW I run is Reaper.

I'm hoping someone will say "here's how it works in the plugin".
gkurtenbach

Postby rspst14 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:05 pm

I only use Amplitube stand-alone, and I've never been able to get the undo to work. To be fair, I work as a software developer and have been asked for this feature numerous times for my employer's products. The IK team is correct when they tell you it is more complicated to implement than it seems.
rspst14

Postby gkurtenbach » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:38 pm

Just resurrecting this thread for a feature request for Undo/redo.

Someone who is software developer mentioned in previous post how undo can be complicated feature to implement. I too was software developer/manager for 30 years. Yes, undo can be hard to implement especially to retrofit. Although I've seen it retrofitted to a product that was magnitudes more complicated and ancient than Amplitube. For that product, for years we heard "it can't be done, it's a massive amount of work". Eventually, when our competitors used it lack of undo as a selling point, we took the hit and added it.

It's a mystery to me how IK decided it wasn't a must-have feature--I can't imagine releasing a serious software product without it. Sort of like not have "save".

Are there any other amp sims that have undo?

cheers!
gkurtenbach

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:57 pm

Our developers coded undo into the standalone. Typically undo/redo when using your DAW would be implemented by the DAW.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling