Sampletank Max installation structure .. issues

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank Max installation structure .. issues

Postby blaze591 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:24 pm

I am having some significant issues with installing Sampletank 4 MAX as part of Total Studio S3.5 MAX.

I started to install the main apps first, SampleTank, Syntronik 2 and Sampletron. All okay. Configured IKPM to download the sounds to D:/IK Multimedia Sounds. Started to install the sound libraries and to my surprise they defaulted to C:/Users/Public/Public Documents... This created folders for each app .. Sampletank 3, Sampletank 4, SampleTron etc etc

I don't want it all on my main C: drive - it's not big enough as I then found out. It initially installed to the default directory in C:/Users/Public/Public Documents and after installed about 250Gb ran out space. So I have uninstalled Sampletank, and reinstalled to a directory on my D: drive, and have managed to configure the IKPM to install the sounds to a folder on the D:. I did not appreciate the difference between the setting to download to, and the setting against each sound library to "Install to". More fool me.

I cannot - as some of the posts on here suggest - understand or work out how to configure Sampletank to set a default sound library directory. I have, I think, pointed the IKPM to install the sounds into a directory on D: which I have called D:/IK Sound Libraries. I have then deleted everything from the original install location (C:/Usr/Public ....) and used the reinstall function in IKPM. IKPM is now installing the SampleTank MAX sounds into the root of D:/IK Sound Libraries, and has created four folders - Instruments, Library Info, Patterns and Samples. I am surprised that it hasn't created a Sampletank 4 subdirectory but it does seem like it's working.

So, a couple of questions.

1. Should the SampleTank sound libraries be installing as above, or should I have done something different?
2. When I install other products ( I have TSMAX3.5) should I point them to the same folder for Sounds (ie D:/IK Sound Libraries) or does each product need a different folder for their sound libraries?
3. Am I missing a setting to define the default sound library directory in each seperate app?
4. What's the best way to delete the whole lot and start from scratch? Just uninstall the apps or do I need to do something else?
blaze591

Re: Sampletank Max installation structure .. issues

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:33 pm

?? In your other thread you mentioned that you weren't really interested in SampleTank etc. And perhaps you can post an update over there.

As for the sounds libraries installs:
-- the default location is on the C:/ drive,
-- the IKPM uses one location for its downloads, and, as you have said, you have changed it to somewhere on D:/
-- when IKPM runs a sounds installer, that installer picks up the library location automatically (from that set in the software product's Preferences) or from a default.
-- as you have found, you can override that folder selection in the IKPM by using the "More options" > "Install to ..." choices

When the ST4 library is installed completely, create the folder "D:/IK Sound Libraries/SampleTank 4" and move all the folders and files for the ST4 library into it.

Then create "D:/IK Sound Libraries/Syntronik 2", "D:/IK Sound Libraries/SampleTron 2" and so on. When you install those libraries, select the folder in the "Install to... " Afterwards, run the stand-alone program for each product and double-check that the correct folder is selected in the Preference Settings. In ST4, you can add all the paths so that you can use all the sounds in it. Click on the cog (gear-wheel) icon to get to the Preferences.

There is no need to delete everything and start again. And, when you have installed all the sounds libraries, back them up to an archive disk. So you will not need to use the downloaded files again nor will you need to download them again. And you can then delete those downloaded files from your D:/ drive.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby blaze591 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:46 am

Darkstar, thanks for your help. You are correct, I wasn't particularly interested in Sampletank but as I've just bought it, and some of the sounds looked interesting (the Hugh Padgham drums) I thought i would try it out. Amplitube 5 and T-Racks installed perfectly. Ampliube 5 is super, I'm struggling to get a sound out of it which I don't like, it feels a significant upgrade to Amplitube 4. I posted here as my issue was Sampletank rather than T-Racks.

Currently reinstalling the Syntronic 2 library. Your instructions are spot on. Help appreciated.
blaze591

Postby DarkStar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:03 pm

You're welcome. :) There is a lot to explore in those software instruments, so you may be busy for some time.

And AT is not just for guitars. Try adding it as an effect after SampleTank (or Syntronik 2 or ...) in a DAW. ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More