Tonex input • UAD Apollo

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex input • UAD Apollo

Postby psdesign » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 am

Hello!

I'm really impressed by many of the Tonex captures. But the gain staging is confusing to me.

I'm using the Hi-Z input on the apollo which should give Tonex a 1:1 representation of the guitar in use. This seem to be a low input for Tonex, the test player has way louder input gain – How can this be, shouldn't it be 1:1 direct from the guitar?
psdesign

Re: Tonex input • UAD Apollo

Postby psdesign » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Just to clarify, I'm was referring to playing Tonex captures as the prerecorded guitar tracks in the Tonex plugin is much hotter ...
Though the same question applies to the capturing process as well, shouldn't the guitar input be 1:1 in all instances?
psdesign

Postby wildmilne71 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:59 am

Had the same question….
wildmilne71

Postby psdesign » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 pm

Would be nice if Peter_IK or someone from IK could chime in on this.
psdesign

Postby HiFlyer22 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 am

Yup, same problem here, different interface (HX stomp), the pre-recorded tracks are much hotter than any guitar I can plug into.
HiFlyer22

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:44 am

Other users may chip in with suggestions.

Meanwhile, as this is not a company Support forum, the best thing to do is contact Technical Support via the IKM web site, for some one to one diagnosis and help. Search the FAQs first, as there may be relevant results. After that, you should see a [Contact Support] button at the bottom of the page, linking you to the Support form.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Tonex input level • UAD Apollo

Postby psdesign » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:28 pm

I contacted support and this was the answer – "There is no specific level to give you, it will depend on your input guitars, etc you need to play to find out what works the best for your configuration."

While I totally get that you should find what works for you, there really should be a general guideline for input level to assure better accuracy for all.
The prerecorded tracks are supposedly some kind of guideline, but I'm pretty sure they are recorded way to hot in reference to most of IK's own profiles, "Drive" profiles sound fuzzy and so on ...

In my mind the reference input level should be on the lower side.
If a profile needs close to 0db to sound accurate you are out of headroom for any boost/gain pedals to drive the "amp". I 'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to use my pedal board with Tonex, treat it just like an amp.

Since profiles are all over the place in regard to input gain, Tonex is in need of better controls for input gain levels. That can be saved with each profile/preset.
psdesign

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling