Problem with Metal Distortion 2

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Problem with Metal Distortion 2

Postby Napoleonanderson1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:17 am

I'm experiencing something weird with the Metal Distortion 2 pedal, using Amplitube 4 standalone on Windows 7. It will play fine for a moment, but then the sound fades out to static - almost like a battery dying sound - then no sound at all, except for some faint noises. After a few seconds, a crazy distorted oscillating sound fades in - sounds like a Merzbow album - then Amplitube crashes. If I switch the distortion off, the bypassed sound is fine, but if I switch it back on, the sound is still messed up. There's also an obvious audible popping sound when switching it on and off. Changing positions of the pedal in the signal chain has no effect. It behaves this way regardless of what amp is used and whatever other effects are in the chain (or no other effects).
I haven't compared to the plugin version yet to see if I get the same behavior there.

I'm using ASIO driver with 88.2kHz sample rate. I haven't experienced any crashes or problems with any other effects or amp models, only with the Metal Distortion 2. It's very strange.
Napoleonanderson1

Re: Problem with Metal Distortion 2

Postby garfy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello Napoleonanderson1 and welcome to the forum.

Napoleonanderson1 wrote:I'm using ASIO driver with 88.2kHz sample rate

Do you have the same issues at other samplerates?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Davidryanpaul1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:25 pm

I'm having the same issue with Metal Distortion 2 at 88.2k Hz sample rate. If I bump it up to 96k Hz, it works fine.

So, some questions:

- Should the pedal be working at the default 88k Hz?
- Any issues I should be aware of running Amplitube 5 at 96k Hz?
- Every time I launch Amplitube 5, it changes back to 88k, and I have to switch it back manually to 96k. Is there a way for Amplitube to launch with the a default of 96k Hz?

Thanks, everyone!
Davidryanpaul1

Postby carlaz » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:36 pm

I confess that I haven't tried the Metal Distortion 2 at these sample rates, so I can't speak to that, but I would note that it is in origin quite an old gear model, going all the way back to the AmpliTube 2, maybe 1, era. Whenever I've tried to max it out, as for the "Swedish-chainsaw" death-metal tone, it ... just sounds strange, at least to me. (And while I don't know how every piece of real gear modeled in AmpliTube is supposed to sound :? the HM-2 I do know!

While perhaps the Metal Distortion 2 has received various "under-the-hood" updates as AmpliTube has advanced over the years, I think a fully updated new model would be a good thing. There are likewise a few -- actually, now that I think about, perhaps more than a few!) other older pedal models that I think would also benefit from a full refresh/update/replacement.

Perhaps new user-made Tonex pedal models will help fill the gap? There haven't yet been a huge number of pedal-only Tonex models, though.

Someone, please make me a maxed HM-2 Tonex capture! 8-) :mrgreen: :twisted:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling