MIDI Pedalboard for Amplitube 5 (suggestions/experience)

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

MIDI Pedalboard for Amplitube 5 (suggestions/experience)

Postby julioeroma » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:17 pm

Hello everyone!

I got amplitube 5 a few months ago and I was thinking about getting a MIDI pedalboard to control the stomps and to be able to connect an expression pedal to the software. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, so I would need a pedalboard with USB or to look for a MIDI to USB converter. I have been searching information and so far what I have found could be summarised in these options:

*Harley Benton MP-100 MIDI Foot Controller.
·Pros:
+ Cheap
+ Plug and play

·Cons:
- Programming not really flexible
- Expression pedals sold separately.

* Behringer FCB1010
·Pros:
+ Ten buttons + 2 expression pedals
+ Better customization
+ Cheaper than Harley Benton + 2 expression pedals

·Cons:
- Very hard to configure
- Not everone s
- Everyone seems to recommend upgrading to the UNO firmware (requires techical and electronical work, replace the eprom)

? I guess that using a MIDI to USB cable shouldn't be much of a problem?

*Line 6 FBV Express MKII
·Pros:
+ For what I read it just works
+ Affordable
+ Expression pedal included

·Cons:
- Only four buttons and one expression pedal

So I was wondering if anyone had used any of these pedals with Amplitube 5 (it seems that compatibility/configuration changes from one version to another? I may be wrong) and how good or bad their experience with it was. Any other suggestion are welcome!

Thank you very much in advance!
julioeroma

Re: MIDI Pedalboard for Amplitube 5 (suggestions/experience)

Postby livesforrap » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:59 am

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you or not, but the only thing that I have for "expression" is the exp pedal plugged into my Nektar T4. This is a bit tricky to get right because IK products require an extra step vs. others in that you can't simply (er, at least on anything I use) to simply "midi learn" a parameter.

Now, this so far, is ONLY me, but I cannot, with 3 different computers, and tons of redoing installs/etc get the pedal(s) to stay active. What happens here is that anything I control will stop working after about one minute, give or take. IK is stumped, other people are stumped, I'm stumped :lol:

So, though I seem to be the only person on earth having this issue, I'd keep that in mind, even with just a grain of salt ;)

Out of what you listed, I'ma go with Line 6 (if not whatever IK provides these days) because my personal experience has been they simply just work, regardless of the limitation.

Question, either I missed it or maybe you didn't say, but what is this for? Home computer recording? Out in the "wild" ? Both? I think it will help to narrow down which would be best.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby julioeroma » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 pm

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you or not, but the only thing that I have for "expression" is the exp pedal plugged into my Nektar T4. This is a bit tricky to get right because IK products require an extra step vs. others in that you can't simply (er, at least on anything I use) to simply "midi learn" a parameter.

Now, this so far, is ONLY me, but I cannot, with 3 different computers, and tons of redoing installs/etc get the pedal(s) to stay active. What happens here is that anything I control will stop working after about one minute, give or take. IK is stumped, other people are stumped, I'm stumped :lol:

Thank you very much for your reply!
I've read other people using midi keyboards to connect the expression pedals and I'm sorry that it doesn't work properly for you :(

In my case I think I'd rather go for a pedalborad, I have a small midi keyboard (M-AUDIO mini32) but I'm (still unless) not very good with it

Question, either I missed it or maybe you didn't say, but what is this for? Home computer recording? Out in the "wild" ? Both? I think it will help to narrow down which would be best.

Sorry, I should have said it. I would use it to play at home and maybe record something (home too). No concerts planned in the near future :lol: :lol: :lol:
So as long as I can control amplitube with it and without too much of a headache (well, it would be nice if it didn't break after 3 sessions) I would be happy with it

Out of what you listed, I'ma go with Line 6 (if not whatever IK provides these days) because my personal experience has been they simply just work, regardless of the limitation.

That's good to hear. I also trust Line 6 in product quality in general.
julioeroma

Postby livesforrap » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm

I dunno if this is too expensive or too much hassle, or whatever, but I wanted to mention it:

https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-f ... ontroller/

Personally, I've had terrific luck with this company for a long time. My very first one (lx controller) did go bad, but not before it gave me years of excellent service. And the reason I'm bringing it up is because they tried really hard to help me (no charge ;) ) Region of residency (USA) could be the reason why? I dunno.....

Anyways, that's about all I can offer. It's sometimes tough here to get others to chime in, for what ever reason.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby julioeroma » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:55 pm

I dunno if this is too expensive or too much hassle, or whatever, but I wanted to mention it:

https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-f ... ontroller/

Hmmm it is more expensive, but it's not a crazy price. It seems that it is fully programmable and not so hard to program (just repetitive, for what I read). It might be a good option.

Personally, I've had terrific luck with this company for a long time. My very first one (lx controller) did go bad, but not before it gave me years of excellent service. And the reason I'm bringing it up is because they tried really hard to help me (no charge ;) ) Region of residency (USA) could be the reason why? I dunno....

That is very good to hear! It would be great it were true for EU too hahahaha (I don't know, maybe they do!)

Thank you very much for your response! I will certainly give it a thought!
julioeroma

Postby julioeroma » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:14 pm

Okey, so, I have been looking for information and I found some videos that might be interesting and I though I'd just leave them here, just in case anybody comes across this post looking for similar information and find them useful.

So the Line 6 does indeed work with Amplitube 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJTGpJeAe34

Here's a guide on how to configure the Stock Behringer FCB 1010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhSSqpRmfi4

And the Meloaudio Midi Commander, which is (as far as I have found, the same unit as the Harley Benton MP100) seems to work with Amplitube 5 (at least, in iPad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifsm9vnZzO4

I have been looking at the Nektar and it seems very flexible, it should also work without much problem
julioeroma

Postby dsomer@yahoo.com » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:40 pm

I am a little late to your question, but I recently found a used FCB1010 at a local music store. I had read a little about these devices and I had the sales person open the unit for me to check the eeprom that was on the unit. It had the UNO chip in it, so I decided to purchase it.

I watched a bunch of videos and downloaded various software configuration programs, but I could never find all of the answers I needed.

I ended up putting the FCB1010 in "stomp box" mode (a feature of the UNO chipset), and programmed the FCB1010 by following the manual to set various aspects of the unit. I then used the MIDI learn feature in Amplitube 5 to set up some of my presets with control functions.

I was very frustrated at first, but once I got the device programmed to do what I wanted, I found it a very good investment (I got the FCB 1010 for around $90).

I use the stomp mode for turning compression, overdrive and other pedals on and off, and I use both expression pedals for Wah, Volume and dry/wet mix settings on things like Reverb.

What I use most (I am a pretty poor player and need lots of practice) is the playback/record feature in the standalone DAW of Amplitube 5. Having a couple of switches set for these functions is sooooo much better than taking my hand off the guitar to use the computer mouse to select these buttons in the application. I have also set up switches to control the looping features in looping area of Amplitube 5, but I don't use this quite as much as the DAW controls.

Overall, I really like the FCB 1010. There are other MIDI switches that are likely much easier to set up, but getting two expression pedals with 10 switches is really nice.

Oh, I also have a couple of switches set to cycle forward and backward in the preset list. Very nice to switch presets on the fly.

Good luck.
dsomer@yahoo.com

Postby julioeroma » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:50 pm

^^^
It's been a long time since the last time I was here, but thank you very much for your answer. I am glad that in the end you managed to make it work :D :D :D
julioeroma

Postby julioeroma » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:01 am

I came back after a long time because I finally managed to get the MIDI Pedalboard. After a lot of research I decided to go for the Harley Benton MP100, mainly because:

- Price
- Size (it's not so big as others and is easier to store)
- 10 buttons + 2 expression pedals (not included)

It arrived today and I have been playing a bit with it. The first thing I should say it that it works. No problem. I have been using the CUS-2 program. Setting a preset is easy and you ya set up to 125 if I am not wrong. You move in kind of rows. in the sense that you have preset 1,2,3,4 in the bottons A,B,C,D, respectively. If you press down, you now have the channels 5,6,7,8 and son on.

You can assing the buttons 1,2,3 and 4 to certain functions, like start/stop the looper. You can also choose to bypass certain effects within a preset with them, but I am not sure on how you do it, because it doesn't seem to work all the time. I need to investigate futher.

I wanted to thank all the people who shared their opinions and experience, I thought that would rather share mine, just in case somebody is in the same situation as I was and finds this post.

I'll keep sharing my experience as I become more familiar with it and I'll try to help anyone with this pedalboard if I can.

So, tl;dr: the Harley BEnton MP-100 seems to work fine with amplitube 5
julioeroma

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling