How do I unzip and install IK software icons on my laptop?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How do I unzip and install IK software icons on my laptop?

Postby TommB7x7 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Ok, up front -I'm a complete computer moron. That said, is there anyone out there who knows how to "unzip" files and place shortcut icons onto a Windows 10 laptop? ( -so that all I will have to do to open up and use this software is to click on these icons )?

You see, I recently purchased IK Multimedia's "iRigKeys I/O 25" keyboard controller and downloaded the FREE software ( i.e: "Sampletank 4", "T-Racks 5 CS", "AmpliTube 5 CS", "Syntronik 5 CS", etc. ) that's included. This software is now appearing as both file folder and "unzipped" versions on my hard drive's "downloads" section. Don't ask me why.

Anyway, I haven't been able to figure out HOW to get these softwares ( -either the file folder or the "unzipped" versions ) to load onto my laptop's screen as "shortcut icons" -that I can simply click on to open and use.

Can anyone guide me through what I need to do to accomplish this -hopefully something that's "simple and easy" to do? *NOTE: I'm using a Windows 10 MSI GS63 Stealth laptop with an Intel Gen 8 7-8750H processor ( -if that matters ) and am using it's built-in pressure sensing track pad as a mouse.

Would I need to use a regular mouse to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TommB7x7

Re: How do I unzip and install IK software icons on my lapto

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:50 pm

When you Register the hardware you also get (among other things) 4 Mac/PC software products - two fixed and two of your choice. I guess that you get Serial numbers for each of those v4 (if not by email, then have a look in your User Area / Promotions and user Area / My Products on the web site.

I am not clear what you have done so far. But this should work:

1 Download and install the IK Product Manager ("IKPM").
2 Run the IKPM, login, select "Manage my Products2 and Register the Serial Numbers for the 4 SE editions of the software products (NOT the CS editions, which are free to every IK user)
3 In the IKPM Settings, select the folder that you want it to use for its downloads.
4 Select the [Software] tab and one of your products, click [Install] and follow the instructions (make sure that you choose to install the stand-alone programs). You should get a shortcut icon on your desktop.
5 Repeat for the other 3 products.

SampleTank and Syntronik have extensive sounds libraries, so for them there are some more steps.
6 Create a folder for the sounds libraries. on a different disk if you can,
e.g X:/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4 and X:/IK Multimedia/Syntronik 2
7 Run each of those programs and in their Settings, select the appropriate folder for the sound content.
8 Back in the IKPM, switch to the [Sounds] tab, find the SampleTank 4 SE entry, and click "Install". The IKPM will download the sounds to the downloads folder you picked in step 3 and should get the destination folder for the installed library from the program's Settings.
9 Do the same for Syntronik 2.

Run each of those stand-alone programs again and they should then be able to load their relevant sounds.

When you are happy that all is installed you can move the downloads files, in the IKPM's downloads folder to a back-up disk, so you will not need to download the sounds libraries again.

Help and a User Manual are available in the IKPM.

Let us know how it goes.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:43 pm

... any news?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby TommB7x7 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 pm

Darkstar: Your instructions left me completely lost. I already have IK Product Manager ( IKPM ) installed on my laptop. The products I've purchased ( i.e: Irig Keys I/O 25 and it's FREE software titles are already showing up as being installed and authorized on IKPM -so I've already completed those steps ).What I need to know now is how I get these products ( -IRig Keys I/O 25, Sampletank 4, T-Racks, Syntronik, AmpliTube, etc. ) to be fully operational by just clicking on their shortcut icons on my Windows 10 laptop's screen. How do I get these icons to show up? Why has IK Multimedia made this process so tortuous!!! -Tomm.
TommB7x7

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 am

In that case, please contact Technical Support for some more guidance and one to one help.

There is no need to unZip anything.

---------------------------
if you just want to create a desktop shortcut of a program, find its executable (.exe) file; they are in C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia here. Right-click the .exe file and select "Create shortcut". Windows 10 will ask if if you want to put the shortcut on the desktop. Click "Yes".
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Steve-xyz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 pm

I think you are wanting shortcuts on the desktop. I usually do that by
  • finding the executable program,
  • right-clicking,
  • choosing "Create shortcut,"
  • and then saying yes when asked if I want the shortcut on the desktop.
Steve-xyz

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:33 pm

I'm not on a Windows 10 computer right now but I usually find the program in the Start Menu, right click and choose the option to create shortcut on desktop or similar.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby TommB7x7 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:39 pm

OK Darkstar, Steve xyz and others. I'll try that. Those solutions sound like they might work. Thanks a bunch! -Tomm
TommB7x7

Postby TommB7x7 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 pm

Well, I tried the fixes you all mentioned and no dice. While I can get the program icons to show up on my laptop's screen -the programs won't start up when I click on them. I spent about an hour and a half doing what you recommended ( over and over again ). Then I tried different permutations on what you said. Nothing worked. I've never had so much trouble trying to load software. Why does IK make their software such a nightmare to load and use? Hey guys, I'm not an IT expert -I'm a musician. At some point I would like to actually USE the software that's included with iRig Keys I/0 25. I've been trying to get this software loaded and functioning since February now.
TommB7x7

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:14 pm

I know you are frustrated but it isn't a nightmare. When you install via the IK Product Manager, everything is created automatically in your Start Menu etc. The method I described would put the icons on your desktop and open the standalone software.

Obviously something isn't working right for you and I'm sure IK Support can help at this point.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Steve-xyz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:40 pm

Are you putting icons on the desktop or shortcuts to the programs? It makes sense that if you just put icons on there, the programs will not open.

My PC (Windows 10 Pro, up-to-date), doesn't have a way to create a shortcut directly from the Start Menu System, but if I can get there. Your PC/Windows might be different, but here's what I do:

Example 1:
    Open Start Menu (MS Windows icon on Task Bar)
    Right-click on ST4 icon
    Select More
    Select Open File Location
    Right-click SampleTank 4 (which is a shortcut as stated under the Type column)
    Select Create Shortcut
    When asked if I want to place the shortcut on the desktop, I say Yes.
That's just one way.

Example 2:
    Choose Magnifying glass (search) on Task Bar
    Type Sample Tank 4
    When the App is highlighted, Select Open File Location.
Then I do the last 3 steps in Example 1.

There are other ways, too.

But as Peter says, if its not happening for you (for whatever reason), perhaps Support can help.
Steve-xyz

Postby TommB7x7 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:27 pm

Ok, I'll try your suggestions one last time. I've been at this since February -so why not waste a few more hours of my time? If it doesn't work this time I think it's time for IK to refund my money. I'll gladly send back the unit and put their refund towards a hardware instrument that actually works! I'll let you know how it goes.
TommB7x7

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:27 am

What happens when you double-click any of the stand-alone programs (the .exe file) in the sub-folders in C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\... ?

Also, as this has been a problem for several months, why not contact Support for some one-to-one help and guidance?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby TommB7x7 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 pm

OK, I tried Steve xyz's latest suggestion. It doesn't work. I think I'll just ask for a refund. I can't waste any more of my time on this. I need to be making music not wrestling with IK's software. Thanks for trying to help at least.
TommB7x7

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:54 pm

Sorry to hear the steps I listed didn't help either.
Steve-xyz

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More