ST4 crashing during DB build (MS remote desktop)??

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

ST4 crashing during DB build (MS remote desktop)??

Postby sschow1 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:52 pm

I have recently installed ST4 on windows and every time I try to start it, it crashes within a few seconds of doing the DB rebuild. What can be causing this?

I have tried to reinstall it and expansions several times. Always the same.

more information, this is running on a windows machine that is intended to be used as a VSL VePro server...which means I am accessing it using MS Remote Desktop. Perhaps Sampletank is not compatible with Remote Desktop in some way?

I just turned off Remote Desktop and temporarily connected a real display to the PC in question, and sampletank was able to scan the entire DB to completion without crashing, so this must be the reason. This isn't a configuration that I can sustain though.

I also notice running MixBox, it doesn't crash, but the GUI comes up completely black, no graphics and unusable under MS Remote Desktop. But works fine on the real display.

TR5 seems to work fine on remote desktop so far..

So the question is, can I use IK software products on my windows VSL VePro server? I was really hoping to use them there. But it requires MS Remote Desktop in order to access..
sschow1

Re: ST4 crashing during DB build (MS remote desktop)??

Postby Promidi » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:53 pm

As a test, I remoted into my Windows 10 Pro PC with Remote Desktop. From there, I opened up the standalone version of Sampletank MAX 4.21.

I then performed a database scan. My ST4 Max also has many addons installed which would have increased the duration of the scan.

This database scan finished to completion without any errors.

Both the PC that I used to remote into and the PC with ST4 are set to the same resolution (1920 x 1080). I also configured the RDP client to leave the audio left at the PC with ST4. There were also some drive mappings enabled.

So in essence, it is possible to RDP into a PC with ST4 and have the database scan complete without any errors.

You might want to lodge a ticket with IKSupport

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/sw/
Promidi

Postby sschow1 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:00 pm

I already did. I have found out more since then. The problem appears to be related to OpenGL. IK has confirmed that SampleTank and MixBox are using OpenGL...and there are many people experiencing problems with OpenGL through MS Remote Desktop.

I also found out that Nvidia had released a couple years ago a little installer that some how enables Remote Desktop to use OpenGL through the GPU in some way. you have to sign up as Nvidia dev in order to obtain it. After I installed that, SampleTank and MixBox are working for me over RDP.

It appears this problem happens only with certain GPU's, or perhaps its more correct to say that some GPU's "solve" the problem in some way while many others do not. My Nvidia was not until I ran the exe they provided and now it does.

Perhaps your GPU is also solving this openGL over RDP issue in some way.

Anyone else in the future that finds this thread can be assured that IK products are using OpenGL, and MS Remote Desktop can have problems with OpenGL..there are many articles on the internet related to this problem. I'm happy that I finally found the Nvidia solution.

Info about that here: https://www.khronos.org/news/permalink/ ... 2.98417181

I don't have any other plugins or audio products that have caused this issue, so I also hope IK will consider making their software just a little more robust so that it will not fail under Remote Desktop under certain scenarios. OpenGL is just simply not officially compatible with MS Remote Desktop.
sschow1

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:59 pm

Please pass all this info back to Support so that they can pass it to the development team(s). It will affect IK Multimedia software other than ST4.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby sschow1 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:35 pm

It does affect mixbox also. For now tr5 seemed to be working ok but who knows if some particular t-racks module might have triggered the OpenGL compatibility issue over Remote Desktop. I have been in communication with them and they said they passed the info to the devs
sschow1

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More