Using 2 controllers with the Hammond B-3X

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Using 2 controllers with the Hammond B-3X

Postby smythrocks1 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:57 pm

Hello,

I would like to use two Keylab controllers to independently control the upper (swell) and lower (great) manual. How do you set that up. I see all of my keyboards (midi controllers) but I can only select one at a time.
smythrocks1

Re: Using 2 controllers with the Hammond B-3X

Postby Promidi » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:24 pm

I just loaded the demo of the standalone Hammond B-3X to check this.

Go into Settings (Cog upper right)

it looks like you have to set MIDI INPUT (Under AUDIO / MIDI) to “ANY”.

Set the MIDI CHANNELS UPPER MANUAL to 1 and the LOWER MANUAL to 2

Make sure the MIDI channel of one Keylab controller is set to MIDI channel 1 and the other to MIDI channel 2.

This should allow playing of the upper and lower keyboards with the two Keylab controllers independently.

Note: This is in standalone.

If you’re using Hammond B-3X in a DAW, the setup of Hammond B-3X should be the same as above. However, you will have to check your DAW’s user guide to set up the appropriate MIDI routing.

Maybe mention your DAW and hopefully, someone with that DAW can chime in.
Promidi

Postby smythrocks1 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Hey thanks. I will try that later this afternoon. I'm using Mainstage 3 (3.5?)

Interesting approach and makes sense. My only concern about using "any" would mean that the other hardware based keyboards I have (Nord Stage 3 and Tyros 5) would be seen by the software and thus played as well from those keyboards. I suppose I should change their default Midi channel?

Thank you again
smythrocks1

Postby Promidi » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 pm

If I remember rightly(I've already uninstalled Hammond B-3X), instead of “ANY”, you could just select your two keyboards in the Hammond B-3X settings.
Promidi

Postby smythrocks1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:30 am

I kept the Keylab 88MKII controller to Midi channel 1 and the Keylab 61 to midi channel 2. I then changed the upper channel to Midi channel 2 in the Hammond software.

I still cannot play the "manuals" independently. The bottom (great) plays with midi controll 88 but no sound from the top (swell) manual on channel 2. Additionally, I cannot set all the drawboards to work correctly. Number 5 on both keyboards won't "stay" at all.

Not sure what to do next
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:52 am

In B-3X's Preference Settings / Audio MIDI, set the MIDI input to ANY.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby smythrocks1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Hey Darkstar - thank you.

I will try that when I get home from work.

regards,
smythrocks1

Postby Promidi » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:20 pm

Won’t setting the MIDI input to “Any” cause Hammond B-3X to also respond to the Nord Stage 3 and the Tyros 5 as well? Was this not a concern in a previous post?
Promidi

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:48 pm

I did not know there were more MIDI keyboards attached ;) But, yes, they would get picked up too.

In that I case I would use a DAW. With "N1" tracks, one for each MIDI device, and "N2" tracks, one for each instrument plug-in. Then Send the MIDI from the appropriate tracks to the instrument plug-in tracks.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:37 am

Good morning Darkstar,

Down in my studio before my real job. I changed the midi setting to any. I also double checked to see that my controllers were on different channels and that they matched midi channels upper manual 2 and midi channels lower manual 1.

I tried playing the organ with the bottom controller (88 key channel 1) I could see the keys respond on the software and heard sound for about 3 seconds (just a couple of notes) and then quiet. If I listened very carefully I could hear just a tiny bit of sound. I tried playing the upper keyboard and nothing though I saw the keys respond to my imput. When I waiting a minute or so, I could play the bottom manual.

I waited a again and played the top manual. No problem at all, going back down and playing the bottom manual the output sounded very choppy almost like it was clipping (though it wasn't).

If you simply played single notes with the mouse on either manual... no issues.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried both keyboards with Main Stage (not using the Hammond as a sample) just to see if the software responded to note off note on and there are no issues. I also used both controllers with Keyscape and Arturia software and no issue.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Reed
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Very odd; but at least you have made some progress :)

Quite why the sound would drop out, then return after a minute or so I do not know. It almost sounds like your audio interface is running into buffering problems.
-- Which one to do you have?
-- Is ASIO selected in the B-3X's Preferences / Audio?
-- What buffer size is set for the interface?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:50 pm

I will check when I get home.

I think the buffering is 512

Using a brand new Focusrite 4i4

The MacBook Pro is about 4 years old (16 gig of ram) 4 terabyte drive, not sure of the processor running Monterey.
smythrocks1

Postby Promidi » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:34 pm

smythrocks1 wrote:I will check when I get home.

The MacBook Pro is about 4 years old (16 gig of ram) 4 terabyte drive, not sure of the processor running Monterey.

Just for reference, I have a Focusrite 2i2 , buffer at 256 with a 2014 PC (i5 5670) and I did not have this issue when I tested the Hammond B-3X plugin.

I am wondering if one of your keyboard controllers is sending spurious controller data (like CC7, CC11, etc) from a faulty slider. I have a Edirol PCR-800 that did this (before splaying slider internals with electrical contact cleaner).

Maybe run a MIDI monitor where you can see the actual MIDI data that the keyboards are sending. You would have to do this in a DAW.
Promidi

Postby smythrocks1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 pm

Promidi wrote:
smythrocks1 wrote:I will check when I get home.

Just for reference, I have a Focusrite 2i2 , buffer at 256 with a 2014 PC (i5 5670) and I did not have this issue when I tested the Hammond B-3X plugin.

I am wondering if one of your keyboard controllers is sending spurious controller data (like CC7, CC11, etc) from a faulty slider. I have a Edirol PCR-800 that did this (before splaying slider internals with electrical contact cleaner).

Maybe run a MIDI monitor where you can see the actual MIDI data that the keyboards are sending. You would have to do this in a DAW.

I suppose it's possible that there is something wrong with the controllers but I don't have problems in other applications. I will check later.

I'll run this through Digital Performer or Logic Pro when I get a chance. I did find that I was unable to "set" all the drawbars to respond to their matching counterpart on the controllers.

This however only seems to be an issue in the Hammond B-3x.
smythrocks1

Postby smythrocks1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:58 am

Hello Darkstar,

Me again from High Point North Carolina. Still having problems. Changed My Nord Stage 3 to midi channel 3. Tried setting this up with two separate instances of the Hammond running in Mainstage. Same problem. Sound would cut off. The lower manual is clearly set (midi) for trhe 88 key controller. I can see the keys move. Same for the upper manual controlled by the top 61 key controller. If I push the keys with the mouse I have no problem. it's just not responding correctly to the controllers. I don't have trouble with any other concert using one or more controllers at the same time.

Curious. Where is the Asio preference for the Hammond locaterd?

Thanks for your patience.

Reed
smythrocks1

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More