OK, what happened here?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

OK, what happened here?

Postby twilson74 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:30 am

Hey guys, I was really enjoying the sounds and features of the new Syntronik 2 and I decided to upgrade to Syntronik 2 MAX. The one issue I was a bit wary of was hard drive space on my SSD for the included samples. I looked at my storage available in my Mac and estimated the amount of gigs for the upgrade of the MAX over regular Syntronik 2 which was already installed and guessed that it wouldn't take up too much space.

I forget off the top of my head how much space I had before the install and how much I estimated that it would consume, but in the end, the installation of 2 MAX only left me with about 40 GB of storage on my 2TB main SSD-- and I've read that it's recommend to leave a lot more space unused so the SSD will function better. In the past few days I was having some glitches on my computer so I decided to simply remove the Syntronik 2 MAX upgrade whilst leaving the standard Syntronik 2 installed to free up some hard drive space. I really love the sounds, but I needed more free space and I was planning on reinstalling them when I get a bigger machine or SSD down the line.

So I went to "About This Mac" and looked at my storage and selected "manage". I then proceeeded to select "reduce clutter" and I found the files (they may have been listed as "disk image") that I downloaded and selected them all and deleted them.

Doing this seems to have freed up 100 GB of space and now I have something like 144GB of free space according to my Mac. HOWEVER, just for the heck of it, I just opened Syntronik 2 to see what would happen if I tried to load some of the MAX presets for the new SYNTHS...and to my surprise.... they still load up and play! I'm sorta thrilled about this and cautiously optimisitic but confused too.

I'm not a real computer whiz here. What is going on? Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: alright I tried to figure it out myself and I read that these "disk image" files-- which end in "dmg" are basically just there for the installation and can be deleted afterward? Is that correct? I still have a bunch of other IK files which end in "dmg" which seem to be taking up a lot of HD space-- can I delete those as well? For example "Amplitube_5_0_3.dmg"-- I can just delete that? If I can get rid of all there files its going to open up even more HD space for me. I hate to be so computer illiterate, but it is what it is.
twilson74

Re: OK, what happened here?

Postby twilson74 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:24 am

Welp, I guess all this time my HD was crammed full of redundant disk image files that I could have deleted? I went through and trashed everything with a .dmg at the end and everything seems to be good and now I have over 500 GB of free space. Again, I feel kinda stupid but I'm glad I figured it out at some point. :)
twilson74

Postby garfy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:07 pm

twilson74 wrote:I read that these "disk image" files-- which end in "dmg" are basically just there for the installation and can be deleted afterward? Is that correct?

This is correct. You can either delete them after installation, or back them up to another drive so you don't have to download again should you need to reinstall.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Yes, indeed - back them up somewhere. Then you can delete them, freeing up disk space.

For other readers: the IK Product Manager ("IKPM") can download / install the complete sounds library all at once, But that needs twice the expected disk space - once for the download files and second for the installed library.

You can tell IKPM where to put the downloads AND where to put the installed library, so you can make best use of your SSD/disk space.

If you can , it might be better to do one download/install at a time. But that will require more intervention by you.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:39 pm

As for Syntronik loading the Syntronik 2 MAX presets, the software is exactly the same. The sounds that can be loaded are determined by the Serial number used to Authorize the software. In your case the Syn2 Max Serial Number was used, so the software can use all the presets.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby twilson74 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, Garfy and DarkStar. I feel like a new person after having freed up so much space on my SSD. I had wanted to get a couple of new libraries in the past few months when there were sales going on, but passed on them because I didn't think I had the space. I couldn't resist the Syntronik 2 MAX though, the sounds are so fantastic. The new Synths and presets were easily worth the price of admission and the new presets for the older synths are really great.

Well now I have some space for when IK comes out with its next awesome product.

I was having an issue with the Syner-V and Cato synths (as some other users have also had) where several of the presets in these will not load and I get an error message. I used the IKPM to automatically install everything so I don't know why certain patches get screwed up. I did reinstall the Syner-V last night to see if the problem persisted and it did. I think I'm just going to have to open a support ticket for that. I had the same issue in Syntronik 1/Sampletank 4 with some of the SAM and maybe Noir presets-- and I never got around to fixing the issue. Anyway, I'm off to play with Syntronik 2...
twilson74

Postby DarkStar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Good oh :)

Please report the install problems to Technical Support; the more info that they have, the better.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More