Stomp IO and iPad Pro usb-c

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Stomp IO and iPad Pro usb-c

Postby LKBorg42 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:28 pm

Hej and hello there folks

I'm upgrading my devices to the iPad Pro, mainly for drawing but I want to keep on using it as my Amplitube musicmaker nonetheless.

Neither the website, nor the manual talks about how the Stomp will react or be connected to the usb-c the new iPad Pros come with. There's an older blog entry from 2018 when the usb connection was first introduced and some cables do exits (din-2-usb-c) but neither tells or list the Stomp IO as compatible.

So will the "normal" usb connection on the Stomp work with the iPad and also charge it while playing (using a usb to usb-c cable), do I need a splitter to also get charging otherwise, or do I need to get the din2-usb cable from you folks?

cheers,

Line
LKBorg42

Re: Stomp IO and iPad Pro usb-c

Postby heisler.alexander » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:18 am

Hi. I have the din2-usb cable there too. But it does not work with my Ipad Air 4. I am about to sell the device as no future-proof support is guaranteed. Sad but true.
heisler.alexander

Postby LKBorg42 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Just looked and the iPad Air 4 is also USB-C

So you say neither the Din-2-USB nor the original USB port on the Stomp IO work with the iPad?

That’s indeed a big reason to return the system, luckily I’m in the 1yr period so I can claim a defect or so, as this isn’t what the device is for (I don’t just want 50% functionality with the computer, I explicitly bought it for mobile usage).
LKBorg42

Postby heisler.alexander » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:21 pm

Yes. I still have my Ipad Air 2 for it, but it no longer works properly after the last update. It doesn't switch presets anymore in live mode. It's really sad.
heisler.alexander

Postby LKBorg42 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:05 pm

dang, I'm not buying another iPad just to do stuff.

Wrote to support and let's see what they say in terms of firmware update etc. but if there's none (and honestly it's a shame since the cheaper iRig models got the USB-C support) I'll have to return the Stomp and look for other means of getting stuff to work.

Such a shame as the Amplitube ecosystem looks and sounds great and I've already invested in it, money I'll probably won't get back.
LKBorg42

Postby heisler.alexander » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:34 pm

I tried to update the firmware a few days ago but the tool does not see the device. Whereby Amplitube 5 on MacOs runs normally.
heisler.alexander

Postby LKBorg42 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:10 pm

I found another post asking this about the 2019 version of the iPad Pro, but it hasn’t gone very far. There’s one user who said it worked, but they didn’t state exactly if it was a pro model and the routing seems a bit weird tbh. So from the post (in the middle of the thread) it reads like the USB-B > USB-C cables from the iRig Stomp IO don’t provide enough power and a powered usb hub was used?!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22181

It’s sad that there isn’t a dead sure answer anywhere to be found and this whole Apple thing exists since 2018, where now it’s 2022 and my Stomp is only a few months old.
LKBorg42

Postby johnhines » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:32 pm

I use a CableCreation's 6.6 FT USB C to USB B Printer Cable from Amazon to connect my Ipad Pro to my Stomp IO and it works fine. Ipad Pro powers the Stomp IO and there is no need to provide wall power to the Stomp IO.
johnhines

Postby LKBorg42 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 pm

THAT is the first good news I read in the last few days (I combed the web extensively but certified answers weren’t to be found)!

Right: so a USB-B to USB-C cable will do the job.

But wait, it’s cool that the iPad powers the iRig Stomp, but what powers the iPad?
So do you use the normal power plug from the iRig and does it also power the iPad, or is a power bank or so needed? Not cool if the iPad powers down during a session
LKBorg42

Postby johnhines » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:00 pm

Right now I just rely on the battery power of the iPad Pro. Once the battery dies, I am done for the night. I don't play out, so not a real issue with me. I guess you could get some sort of USB-C hub that might let you provide external power to the iPad Pro.
johnhines

Postby LKBorg42 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:42 pm

dang, so the USB-B doesn’t route power through to the iPad then, if the Stomp is plugged into power?
LKBorg42

Postby johnhines » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:43 pm

Pretty sure it doesn't. I'll hook mine up again and confirm.
johnhines

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:24 pm

Per the product page https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstompio for Lightning-based iOS devices -
When used with iPhone and iPad it charges your device while you play

Please report to IK Support if you are not experiencing this with the official/included cables.

For USB-C, please see this FAQ: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1259&

iRig Stomp I/O is listed as not charging directly via USB-C but there is a link to an adapter that users have reported as working.

It is always a good idea to search the FAQ for questions of this nature as they are typically covered there. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers