Axe I/O latency for outputted audio only

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe I/O latency for outputted audio only

Postby SeaChange » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:11 am

Did some googling and couldn't find an answer on this one, sorry if the question is pretty basic.

Let's say I have my Axe I/O connected to my PC via USB and I'm outputting audio through it to a couple monitors connected via 1/4" cables. I understand that if I am inputting audio e.g. with a guitar there is a buffer, so there is a tiny delay there. But is there a delay if all I'm doing is outputting audio from my PC through the interface to the monitors, e.g. by playing a Youtube video or something like that? If there is additional latency by outputting through the interface as opposed to outputting through built-in speakers or some other direct audio output, any idea what that latency might be? Are we talking <1 ms or could it be more in the range of 10+ ms? Appreciate any responses.
SeaChange

Re: Axe I/O latency for outputted audio only

Postby garfy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Hello SeaChange and welcome to the forums.

Technically, yes, there will be a latency on the output. This will be time taken for the digital to analogue convertor to process the audio from whatever software you are using, be it YouTube in a browser, Spotify etc or a DAW.

Whether you will experience it as latency is a lot harder to perceive, certainly not as obvious as playing a guitar in and waiting for the processed sound to come out.

The amounts of latency for any input/output/roundtrip will vary depending on the interface, drivers, CPU etc.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Interfaces & Controllers