Help with Syntronik installation [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Help with Syntronik installation [Resolved]

Postby dailytune » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:49 am

I just got Syntronik in the group buy. I've downloaded all 27 zip files on a secondary internal drive, one that has a lot more room than my C drive.

I'm utterly confused about installation, and I'm sure it's exacerbated by bits and pieces of IK products that I have in different locations on this machine. I'm hoping that if I lay all that out here, someone can tell me what I should do (what to move where, what to get rid of) to get Syntronik up and running. I apologize for the very long post, but I don't know how else to go about this.

FYI, I have never bought the full license for any version SampleTank. At some point I downloaded Sampletank 3, perhaps to run a single Syntronik instrument -- Memory V -- which is the only instrument that Sampletank shows. (I believe Memory V was a freebie from somewhere.). Strangely, though I had folders for Sampletank 3, I was not able to find the actual app and open it. So I downloaded Sampletank 4, and that does seem to open properly, showing Memory V as the its only instrument. I believe I also installed Syntronik Free at some point.

So here's what I have (drive / name of folder):

C:/Public Documents/IK Multimedia/
    SampleTank 3 (a 1 GB folder which has Arpeggios, Effects Presets, Imported Instruments, Instruments, Library Info, Multis, Samples)
    SampleTank 4 (a 1.7 GB folder which has Effects Presets, Instruments, Library Info, and Samples)

C:/My Documents/IK Multimedia (this contains four folders:
    Authorization Manager
    IK Product Manager
    SampleTank 4 (has 32 folders and several hundred files)
    Syntronik (has a single data base file)

C:/Program Files/IK Multimedia - contains the following folders:
    Arpeggios (empty)
    Effects Presets (empty)
    IK Product Manager
    Instruments (empty)
    Multis (empty)
    Samples (empty)
    Syntronik (contains the Syntronik app, user manual, empty Instrument and Samples folders, and a few other things)

C:/Program Files (x86)/IK Multimedia -- contains an Authorization manager. I assume this is irrelevant anyway, since my DAWs don't use 32-bit plugins.

F:/Syntronik Sound Content contains:
    Arpeggios (empty)
    Effects Presets (empty)
    Instruments (empty)
    Multis(empty)
    Samples (empty)
    Syntronik folder (which contains the Syntronik app, user manual, empty Instrument and Samples folders, and a few other things.)
    IK Product Manager Folder

G:/IK MM downloads
    Custom Shop (contains the Custom Shop app)
    Sample Tank 4_1_4 (contains the SampleTank 4 installation app and docs)

G:/IK Multimedia
    Custom Shop (contains the unins00 app and DAT file)
    SampleTank 4 (contains ST4 app, manual, and some PAK and DAT files)

G:/Syntronik Sounds
    27 zip files of the Syntronik content
    Effects Presets (empty)
    Instruments (empty)
    Samples (empty)

G:/Syntronik Sound Content
    Arpeggios (contains an empty Syntronik folder)
    Effects Presets (has multiple folders but no files)
    Instruments (contains the folder for 53_Syntronik Memory-V - 89 MB, and empty Instruments and Samples folders)
    Library Info (contains Syntronik Memory-V pak)
    Multis (contains a Syntronik folder, which has Groove, Keyboard, Motion, and Pad folders, all of which have ST3M files in them)
    Samples, which has Effects Presets (some folders but no files), Instruments (empty), and Samples (empty)
    Syntronik Sound Content, which contains:
      Instruments - a 61 MB folder which contains 53_Syntronik 99 (I may have copied this here)
      Library Info (a single PAK file)
      Multis (has an empty Syntronik folder)
      Samples (contains a 53_Sontronik 99 folder with PAK files, which maybe I copied over to this?)

G:/Syntronik 1.2
    Arpeggios (contains an empty Syntronik folder)
    Effects Presets (empty)
    Instruments (empty)
    Multis (contains an empty Syntronik folder)
    Samples (empty)

It’s quite a mess, isn’t it? I know I must seem like an idiot for having duplicate files. F:/Syntronik Sound Content and C:/Program Files/IK Multimedia seem nearly identical. Not to mention G:/Syntronik Sound Content has a folder called Syntronik Sound Content — what?? But I did NOT deliberately create duplicate files. It all happened as I was installing various apps and trying hard NOT to have GBs of content dumped on my C drive. I can also see that IK automatically creates folders, like the apreggios, Effects presets, etc.

I understand that the content for Syntronik has to go in the same folder where SampleTank 3 content is, which in my case is in C:/Public Documents/IK Multimedia/ (Is that right?) But Syntronik is requires 60 GB of hard drive space, so I don’t want to put it on the C drive. My questions boil down to the following:
Can I move the SampleTank 3 content to the G drive?
Should I use the "Install Syntronik Sound Content" app to install the files in the correct folders? If so, should I choose "extract all" first or "run"? And, most importantly, what should the destination path be, exactly?

Thanks for any help! :?
dailytune

Re: Help with Syntronik installation

Postby dailytune » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:16 am

In the meantime, I've got Syntronik Free and ST3 Imported also showing up in ST4 -- all working correctly. Is it correct that those two are either in the Sampletank 3 or Sampletank 4 folders at C:/user/Public Documents/IK Multimedia? (The Syntronik Memory-V appears to be at G:/Syntronik Sound Content.) If so, would you say it's safe to copy those folders over to my G drive, where I have more room?
dailytune

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:29 am

There's a lot to digest here. I will try to reply later.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby dailytune » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:04 pm

DarkStar wrote:There's a lot to digest here. I will try to reply later.

Thanks for taking a look. In the meantime I have solved this problem. I'll post about what I did in a bit.
dailytune

Postby dailytune » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:54 pm

I have solved this problem, although it was quite an odyssey to get there, involving lots of googling and some trial and error. I don’t remember every step, but it boiled down to these key bits of information:

Some important info: this was all on Windows 7. Also, I do not have a full license for either Sampletank 3 or 4. I had installed Syntronik Free a couple of years ago. Syntronik is the only full license I have. It seems to be a requirement that the content for Syntronik be installed in the Sampletank 3 folder.

The content for Syntronik (regardless of what versions) sits in the C:/Public Documents/IK Mutimedia/SampleTank3 folder. This, although I didn’t seem to even have any SampleTank 3 application to run. This seems to be the default path for content installation, unless you opted to create a different one when you first installed Sampletank.

Regarding the downloaded zip files for Syntronik: copying and pasting them did not seem to work. (As an aside, I’ve never quite understood why zip files need to be extracted if you can simply click once on them and see their content. Maybe it’s viewable but not actually extracted?). So I clicked on the zip file, which revealed an installation app as well as a folder called Syntronik Sound Content. Then double clicked the installation app. It asked if I wanted to extract the files, I said yes and had it extract them to a new folder on the same drive on which the zipfiles were originally put (the G drive in my case). Each newly created folder was named after the instrument I was installing — Blau, Pro-V, etc. Once it finished extracting the files for a particular product, a new folders window would pop up (I don’t know what that is called in Windows; in Mac its the Finder window). I then clicked on the installation app again and it asked me if I wanted to run the installer. I said yes. That brought about a new (proprietary installation) window that took me through the steps of installation. It ultimately copied the content from that newly created folder on the G drive to C:/Public Documents/IK Multimedia/Sampletank 3. And it put everything (samples, instruments, etc.) in the correct folders. Yay!

My problem is that -- similar to many others, I’m sure — I had precious little room on my C drive. There was no way that the whole Syntronik library would fit there. I did some googling and decided to follow the advice of someone on this forum who had posted about this issue. He said to copy the entire IK Multimedia folder (at C:/Public Documents/IK Mutimedia/) to whatever new drive you wish, then point both Sampletank and Syntronik to the new location via their settings menus. Then, once everything seems to be working, delete the old folder on the C drive.

I did this, and everything seemed to go mostly well. I had some trouble with some missing samples in the first Syntronik instrument (99) I think because I had taken a stab at downloading and installing it in a random place on the G drive, so some of those samples were missing. But I managed to find them and copy them into the correct folder. Once this got cleaned up, I seemed to hit my stride in installing the rest of the Syntronik content. After the installation of an instrument, I would open up Sytronik, which immediately did a scan for new instruments, and I would try out some presets to make sure no samples were missing. Everything went without a hitch. The Syntronik instruments all showed up nicely in Sampletank 4.

What’s left for me to do is to clean up the rest of this mess — get rid of folders that are not being used by Sampletank or Syntronik. I may give up on getting the Memory-V instrument (which is not part of the collection you get when you buy Syntronik) to show up. I believe I got it for free at some point. It’s still in some random folder on my machine, but if I point Sampletank or Syntronik to that folder, it wreaks all kinds of havoc with the other instruments. I will try to track it down and copy its contents to the correct folders, but not going to kill myself to get this done.

Hope this may help someone who’s trying to make their way through this confusing process.
dailytune

Postby dsgbass » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 pm

I installed Syntronik Deluxe yesterday over a prior install of Syntronik CS. I was making my way through the various installers when I discovered that Syntronik Deluxe has it's own installer in product manager which will install all 22 instruments. Once I ran that (overnight) it installed everything.

Once the installers are done, open Syntronik standalone and go to settings > Library. Verify the correct path for Sampletank 3 and click the button to rescan instruments. Most of the instrument presets were missing until I did the rescan.

I can't remember now exactly what I did to authorize: pasted the serial number into product manager or restore purchases in the custom shop. Maybe both. Anyways it all works and is sounding great.
dsgbass

Re: Help with Syntronik installation [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:25 pm

@ dailytune
I am glad that you got it sorted out and thank you for posting such a clear explanation of the steps you took to resolve the problem. I am sure that that will help other users.

@ dsgbass
I reckon that it was both steps:
-- Registering the product Serial Number in the IKPM
-- Restoring your (new) purchases in the Custom Shop.

-----------------------
As this thread has been resolved by the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More