SampleTank 4 and "Virtual" UAD Console outputs

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 4 and "Virtual" UAD Console outputs

Postby zuma » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi All. Longtime IK user, looong time no post.

Tech specs:
Windows 10 (21H1)
Sample Tank CS 4.1.4 (21E19)
Apollo Twin USB running UAD software v9145

I often use software like SampleTank in stand alone mode, just for quick relaxing jams before bed. No need to fire up the DAW for that. :P Something I do with Kontakt, for example, is route my main outputs to the Apollo's "virtual" outputs so that I can use my UAD AKG reverb plug-in before it hits the main outs. I tried this in SampleTank after redeeming my free Art Deco Piano and... strange things happen.

Where the strange things happen

Before I get into the weirdness, the following DOES work:

• Running SampleTank within ProTools, I can set the output of the track I have SampleTank on to "Virtual 3/4" and it works great.
  • Using the stand alone versions of similar sofware, like Kontakt, Waves standalone instruments and GigPerformer, works fine so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Apollo.
  • Running SampleTank in stand alone mode and using the Apollo's standard MON L and MON R works just fine.

The strangeness when running SampleTank in stand alone mode:

• Choosing Virtual 3 and Virtual 4 as my Left and Right channel outputs results in complete silence (I already use Virtual 1 and Virtual 2 for my ProTools output).
  • By accident, while taking the screenshot above, I discovered that choosing Virtual 3 as Left channel and MON R as Right channel results in a wet reverb on the Left, with a dry Right side. So, that kinda works.
  • However, choosing MON L for Left channel and Virtual 4 for the Right, only results in a dry Left side, with no output to Virtual 4. It does NOT do the expected "flip" that you think it would.
  • Just for kicks I tried Virtual 1 and Virtual 2 and they behave in a similar manner. There is a pattern here - no output with both Virtual 1 and 2 together, a "wet/dry" output with Virtual 1 and MON R selected, and only a dry Left side when running MON L and and Virtual 2 together.

In summary, I can't get Sample Tank to output to any stereo pair of "virtual" channels. Only odd virtual channels (1 and 3) seem to work, and only on the Left side! Yes, I know I could simply insert reverb with SampleTank itself, however, I really like using the AKG one. It's quite lush. :mrgreen:

Additional notes:

The Apollo Console software lets you "link" your Virtual outputs into stereo pairs for ease of use, if so desired. I tried them both linked and unlinked, restarting SampleTank after each change. It made no difference.

I also tried other instruments beside Art Deco Piano. No difference.

I appreciate any help!
zuma

Re: SampleTank 4 and "Virtual" UAD Console outputs

Postby HomeStudio87 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Same here Sampletank does'nt work with any virtual out off Apollo only Monitor L/R, so I try Syntronik to see if it's a IK general problem but not, Syntronik work on my virtual 1/2 or 3/4 ! so it's a mystery...... :? :? :shock:
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 11 / VEP 7 / Roli / DTouch Cubase / Console 1 / XTouch 24ch / CMC / iPad Lemur... /
HomeStudio87

Postby zuma » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just tried Syntronik, since you mentioned it.You're right! Syntronik stand alone works just fine with those Virtual outs. I may just have to turn this one in to Support. It seems like a SampleTank 4 bug.
zuma

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pm

Just some background info: Syntronik is based on the SampleTank 3 software engine.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby zuma » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:55 pm

Good to know. Thanks DarkStar. For my purposes, firing up Syntronik for these impromptu jams ends up being an acceptable solution. Still, I'll remain hopeful that a future update might fix that peculiarity in SampleTank 4.
zuma

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More