Difference between British Lead S100 and Vintage Metal Lead?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Difference between British Lead S100 and Vintage Metal Lead?

Postby NewEnglandSynthOrchestra » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 pm

OK, so a while back, I got whatever AmpliTube pack contains a bunch of amps and stuff, and having poked around a few presets, I noticed there are two amps that look just like a Marshall Super Lead 1959: the British Lead S100 and the Vintage Metal Lead. Is there any real difference between the two besides the name?

On a separate note, I'm looking to make some NWOBHM-style tunes, and I'm trying to decide between either of those amps or the Brit 8000.
NewEnglandSynthOrchestra

Re: Difference between British Lead S100 and Vintage Metal L

Postby carlaz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 pm

Yes, there is a(n audible) difference (IMO!) though they are fairly similar.

Both of these models go back to the "AmpliTube 2" era. The S100 was part of the original Hendrix collection and was based on a Marshall JTM100. It was in some senses replaced in the updated Hendrix collection by the JH Gold, which (I kind of get the sense) models an actual Hendrix JTM45/100 very closely. The JH Gold has controls that are virtually identical to those of actual JTM45/100s and/or Superleads (and Super Basses), including the ability to bridge/jump the inputs, and there is no master volume. The S100, in contrast, has slightly less authentic controls; e.g., e.g., there are separate master volume and preamp gain controls.

Marshall did not introduce master volume controls on actual amps until about 1976/1977, with the "Marshall Master Model 100w Lead #2203" -- which is what I believe that the Vintage Metal Lead (originally part of the "AmpliTube Metal" collection) is actually based on. (The official designation as "Marshall JMP100 head" is not very specific). The historical physical amps went through a few circuit revisions and eventually, by around 1981, evolved into early JCM800s.

If you dial in the S100 with fairly vanilla EQ settings (Reverb off) and the master Volume and pre-amp Gain both all the way up, it sounds very similar to the JH Gold with the same EQ settings and the Normal channel dimed. Then, both of these sound fairly similar to the Vintage Metal Lead set the same way as the S100. They are all, after all, intended to represent various Marshall amps from the period (roughly, I would guess) 1966-1978ish -- so they can be expected to sound at least similar.

Still, I think the S100 and JH Gold are the most similar (naturally enough, as both are intended to catch a Hendrix vibe), though I prefer using the JH Gold because I think it is a slightly more authentic model -- and it's a more recent model, of course! I think you can more readily hear the difference between either of these and the Vintage Metal Lead. Nevertheless, if you want to get the effect of slightly different 100w Marshall vibes on different tracks (as if one were recording guitars tracked through several different amps of the same basic model), you can use them all in parallel in your DAW. Or, I suppose, you can blend them within AmpliTube, too, in multi-amp chain configurations.

The JH Gold is one of my "go-to" AmpliTube models, though if new models based more authentically on, say, an early '70s non-master-volume Superlead and a late '70s master-volume 2203 (not to say an early/mid-70s Superbass) were added to AmpliTube 5, I would certainly buy any and all of these instantly. :mrgreen: IMO, you can never have too many vintage Marshall amp models. 8-)

If I were going to pick just one of the existing models, though, it would be the JH Gold, largely because it is more recent and "more authentic". For a second, it might be the Vintage Metal Lead, mostly because I think it's that little bit more different than either the S100 or the JH Gold. But, of course, I actually have all three models. :ugeek:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby NewEnglandSynthOrchestra » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm

^^^

Ah, how illuminating! Now I'm wondering if I should use the Vintage Metal Lead or the Brit 8000 if I want to do anything NWOBHM-styled. I know Iron Maiden used JCM 800s, but I'm thinking that other NWOBHM groups like Diamond Head or Tygers of Pan Tang might've used an earlier model 2203
NewEnglandSynthOrchestra

Postby carlaz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 pm

NewEnglandSynthOrchestra wrote:Ah, how illuminating! Now I'm wondering if I should use the Vintage Metal Lead or the Brit 8000 if I want to do anything NWOBHM-styled. I know Iron Maiden used JCM 800s, but I'm thinking that other NWOBHM groups like Diamond Head or Tygers of Pan Tang might've used an earlier model 2203

Good question. I would guess that many NWOBHM bands at least started with either non-master-volume Superleads (which would have been readily available used, but also continued to be manufactured up until 1981 when the JCM800 came out) or the more recently available master-volume 2203s. If/when they eventually got some money, though, they might have run out and bought new JCM800s (from 1981) ... or they might have been endorsed by Marshall and given them. (AC/DC were one of the earliest bands to be given master-volume 2203s to promote in the mid-/late '70s.)

I think that early (very early) Iron Maiden used non-master-volume Superleads, and I think early Judas Priest perhaps used non-master-volume 50w (i.e. model 1987) Superleads. (Honestly, I would instantly buy any AmpliTube models based on vintage 50w Marshalls as well! They overdrive earlier, and so sound a bit different.) The JH Gold or S100 will be the closest options there (though the '70s Superleads were more aggressive than the late '60s JTM45/100s, so you might need to nudge up the gain and/or presence).

Diamond Head ... I think Brian Tatler is on record as saying he thinks he used a non-master-volume 2203 on Lightning to the Nations, so that would be the Vintage Metal Lead. Although, now that I think of it, the green mode of the Crunch channel of the Satch JVM is itself intended to emulate a 2203, so that could be another option for getting close to that vibe.

Tygers of Pan Tang! I don't know anything about what they actually used, but I would think that the first two albums pre-dated JCM800s, so the available Marshall heads would have been either the non-master-volume Superleads or the master-volume 2203s.

One of my friends played in the "NWOBHM-adjacent" UK band Mournblade, and he still has the non-MV 2203 that he used in the '80s -- recorded a solo using it for one of my projects a couple of years ago, which was kinda fun. 8-) (Gotta do some more stuff with him!)

People were also using modded Superleads and 2203s -- often modded because they had broken, and the "mod" was sort of a side effect of the repair! :lol: But the AFD100 in the Slash package was an attempt to reverse engineer the sound of the modded-Superlead (technically, apparently a modded Super Tremolo 1959T :ugeek: ) that Slash used on the first GNR album. Of course, people were soon modding JCM800s, too; the red mode on the Crunch channel of the Satch JVM is intended to have a "modded JCM800" vibe (while the orange mode is supposed to have a "normal" JCM800 vibe.
Last edited by carlaz on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby NewEnglandSynthOrchestra » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 pm

^^^^

OK, thank you!
NewEnglandSynthOrchestra

Postby DarkStar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 pm

I have removed the quotes of immediately-preceding posts so that this thread is easier to read.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DC42 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:07 am

carlaz wrote: though if new models based more authentically on, say, an early '70s non-master-volume Superlead and a late '70s master-volume 2203 (not to say an early/mid-70s Superbass) were added to AmpliTube 5, I would certainly buy any and all of these instantly. :mrgreen: IMO, you can never have too many vintage Marshall amp models. 8-)

Totally agree! So wish a Marshall pack would be released with the classics within.
DC42

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling