Amplitube 5 Max Crackling and Popping

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5 Max Crackling and Popping

Postby Powersof10 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

New A5 user here, am blown away by the quality of the amp and effect simulation.

Unfortunately, I can't enjoy the sounds because I'm getting a lot of crackling when playing or recording :cry: What's a bit strange is that the crackling seems to be less intense in the beginning, say for the first half hour of turning my PC on, but then it gets worse when I get past the hour. These are my system details:

- Windows 10 Home PC (brand new)
- CPU: Intel Core i7-10700
- Memory: 16 GB
- Storage: 256 GB SSD
- Sound Card: UAD Apollo Twin USB
- Signal Chain: Guitar - Apollo Twin - A5 Max

What I've tried so far:

* I changed my buffer to 512 to see if that would help
* Sample rate is at 48k on both UAD console and on PC Sound settings

Any ideas on what else to do? I've read through the prior threads here but not really finding much else. Is it a ASIO driver issue?

Thanks so much!

- Powersof10
Powersof10

Re: Amplitube 5 Max Crackling and Popping

Postby Powersof10 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:09 pm

One additional detail:

I'm getting the crackling and popping on my overdriven setting, which is basically an amp + 5 effects.

But when I try something like a clean setting, like a Bassman with a couple of effects, I don't get any crackling and popping...

:?
Powersof10

Postby GuitarProphet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:48 am

Hi,

I'm suffering from the same problem here. A large number of presets are completely unusable because of crackling noises. The problem seems to occur only with the presets that use more than average numbers of effects and amps etc. It's therefor likely that the drivers cannot process the required information fast enough which in turn causes the crackling.

As is the case with your setup it can hardly be explained by the configuration of my (brand new) pc. I have an Intel i7-9700 CPU, two gigs of extra memory and 1 gig SSD. On top of that my interface is the IKMultimedia Axe I\O. The CPU never runs past 10% capacity and the memory maxes at 35% capacity. Even though I am very happy with the overall sound quality of Amplitube 5 MAX it's disappointing that IKMultimedia can't get all of their own sounds working properly. Even when I set buffer size up to 2046 (which makes playing totally impossible, but for argument sake...) the crackling problem is not resolved, for instance on some of the Brian May and Satriani presets.

A response from IKMultimedia would be appreciated...a solution even more.
GuitarProphet

Postby Powersof10 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi GuitarProphet,

I sent in a support ticket almost a week ago now and have not heard back...

Your post made me think, could it be the driver associated with the 5.0.2 version?

Thanks for posting, wish others could chime in to help troubleshoot

will send you a PM
Powersof10

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 pm

5.0.2 fixed issues that dealt with using audio interface drivers so I doubt it is the cause. I'm sure IK Support will assist you, please see these guidelines if you feel you have a ticket that is not being handled to your satisfaction viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505

Also, I use AmpliTube 5 with AXE I/O on multiple computers without this issue and at very low buffer sizes, it isn't a case of "IKMultimedia can't get all of their own sounds working properly" in any way. AmpliTube 5 + AXE I/O work flawlessly for many and I'm sure you both can be among those too.

Since this thread veered off topic and it isn't clear that this isn't a tech support forum (even though the rules state that as the #1 point), this thread has run its course. IK Support can help you if you are having a technical issue with your AXE I/O and get you up and running like those who are enjoying the great combination of AXE I/O and AmpliTube.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling