Basic Connections Question (new Amplitube User)

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Basic Connections Question (new Amplitube User)

Postby daveleenc » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:44 pm

I just installed the free version of Amplitube 5 on a new Windows 10 desktop. I have installed the Asio4All drivers (V 2.14). I have my Sound Settings with Input pointing to an IRIG UA (vintage 2016) and Output pointing to a DragonFly DAC/Amp driving external speakers (wired). I am not getting any sound from Amplitube (BRAND NEW user, so user error likely). I have seen that in the standalone version of Amplitube this can be a problem. But still user error is my first stop here.

So backing up to something more basic.... If I have my Input settings pointing to the IRIG and my output to my DAC/AMP and I play something on the guitar (Amplitube not running), should I be hearing the guitar? I thought so but there is no sound. I can, however, record directly to Audacity (WASAPI input setting inside Audacity) and Amplitube not running. I am running Amplitube standalone, BTW.

What should be my next step here - thanks.

dave
daveleenc

Re: Basic Connections Question (new Amplitube User)

Postby daveleenc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:12 am

Here is a narrower question. My problem seems to be input and ASIO drivers. Again, the guitar is connected to my desktop computer (Windows 10) through an IRIG UA and that device is selected in Windows sound settings as my input device.

With ASIO selected as "Technology" in the Audio/MIDI control panel, and ASIOAll selected as 'Input Device', both the left and right channels are Not Connected 1 (or Not Connected 2), and I have no other choices. So no input. However if I select 'Direct Sound' under 'Technology', then I do get sound (and huge latency). So it would appear that the IRIG UA and the ASIO drivers are not working together.

I recall reading about some 'special ASIO drivers' that IK Media has released. Would those possibly be the answer here?

Thanks.

dave
daveleenc

Postby garfy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi Dave

Sometimes issues like these arise when you are trying to use ASIO with a different input interface to output. Have you just tried the UA as input and output with headphones, just to see if at least that works?

I think some previous users with a similar experience have fixed the issue by choosing the output device before the input device in the AT5 settings page. For some reason that might kick it into life.

I don't use Windows so can't really comment from experience. Perhaps @DarkStar or @Peter_IK will chime in as that is more their area.

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby daveleenc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

@garfy thanks for the suggestions. I am headed out the door right now but will follow up later today.

dave
daveleenc

Postby daveleenc » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:14 pm

I am not sure what actually resolved my problem, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled Amplitube. It again did not work right out of the box but (it seemed) that messing around with the ASIO control panel fixed the issue that I was having.

dave
daveleenc

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling