Automate Program Changes from Cakewalk - newbie question

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Automate Program Changes from Cakewalk - newbie question

Postby jdInCT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 pm

Hi there

Old guy here finally discovering some of the benefits of making music with modern technology, but very new to all of the terminology and concepts - so please take that into account should you be able to answer my question.

I have Amplitube 5 and Cakewalk. What I would like to do is to use the automation in Cakewalk to be able to change the Amplitube Program changes i.e. automatically change the various Amplitube presets from Cakewalk using the automation lane.

My problem is that when I select Amplitube from the automation lane dropdown in Cakewalk I only get the option to select parameters. If I look at the parameters set up in AT5 I can only assign things like amps, stomp boxes etc. to the parameter and I want to change the program/ presets I have made.

I suppose the question should be - since Cakewalk only shows Amplitube parameters in the automation lane, how do I assign a Program Change to a parameter so I can automate that change from Cakewalk.

As I said, newbie here so anybody with patience, the help would be greatly appreciated.
jdInCT

Re: Automate Program Changes from Cakewalk - newbie question

Postby 6stringer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 pm

I think you can do it following the info on this page: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... ck.24.html

About half way down is a section called "To Insert a Bank/Patch Change". Those are the instructions that you'll need to follow

I tried recording a Program Change message from my midi controller to a midi track, but it wouldn't record. I guess you can only record CC events.
6stringer

Postby DarkStar » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:43 pm

First of all - did you get on OK with your Installing VST question? Please post a reply there to update it.

Now, if I understand correctly, you do not wish to change specific AT5 parameters from Cakewalk, rather you wish to change the preset loaded in AT5. Have I got that right?

Please have a look at section 10.3.1 Preset Mode of the AT5 User Manual.

And this thread might help too:
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27169
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jdInCT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Let me try and explain more clearly what I am trying to. In Cakewalk I create an automation lane and select AT5 which gives me this.

In AT5 I see that I can set the parameters to control everything from amps to stompboxes etc.

However, what I am wanting change via Cakewalk is this

Studio One allows access to Program Change but I am assuming the same thing cannot be achieved through Cakewalk. (Obviously I don't have Studio One :D )

Thanks in advance
jdInCT

Postby 6stringer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:34 pm

In Cakewalk, you can only use automation lanes to control parameters that are exported by a VST. AT5 does not export PC events. The link I put in my first reply is a way to insert a PC event into a track.

I tried recording a PC event to a MIDI track, but Cakewalk won't record those. Cakewalk will record CC events to a MIDI track. If you had AT5 setup to use a particular CC event to go to the next or previous preset, you could use this approach.
6stringer

Postby jdInCT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 pm

I really appreciate you taking the time to do the research and reply. You have saved me a load of time trying to work out what cannot be done the way I would like it to.

Many thanks
jdInCT

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling