The Lost Hall & Oates CP-30 Sound for Spaceport '77

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

The Lost Hall & Oates CP-30 Sound for Spaceport '77

Postby babz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 pm

I recently picked up the Spaceport ’77 collection for SampleTank, which is based on two vintage instruments: the Oberheim OB-1 analog synthesizer, and a late 70s/early 80s Yamaha electronic piano, the CP-30. Relatively obscure compared to classic electro-mechanical EPs like the Rhodes or Wurlitzer, the CP-30 was based on analog synthesis.

The CP-30’s unique timbre played an important role in several classic tracks, including the Cars “Bye-Bye Love”, but perhaps its most famous appearance was on the 1981 Hall & Oates hit “You Make My Dreams.” In fact, Daryl Hall stated in an interview that a sound on the CP-30 was the spark that inspired the whole tune for him.

Spaceport ’77 is one of the only sample collections ever released to cover the Yamaha CP-30. However, as I went through the presets I was disappointed to find no preset representing this classic Hall & Oates CP-30 sound. I therefore immediately set out to remedy this situation and thereby recover access to a lesser-known relic from 80s electronic piano history.

I used SampleTank/Spaceport ’77 to program a preset that emulates the “You Make My Dreams” sound as close as possible and created this little demo video to show it off. The additional synth sounds in the demo are tweaked OB-1 presets from the Spaceport ’77 collection. I decided to try to use only IK products for this project, so the drums are from SampleTank 4, the bass is from IK Modo Bass, and the guitar is tracked using IK Amplitube 4. Additional third party plugins were, however, used for the mix.

https://youtu.be/JoEtiTdkKQY
Last edited by babz on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babz

Re: The Lost Hall & Oates CP-30 Sound for Spaceport '77

Postby babz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 pm

I’m happy to share this preset with any fellow Spaceport ’77 user who might want it, but does anyone know if there is a part of this forum for sharing presets? I know that Amplitube used to have a Preset Exchange option, but apparently IK has since dropped support for that feature.
babz

Postby babz » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 am

babz wrote:I’m happy to share this preset with any fellow Spaceport ’77 user who might want it, but does anyone know if there is a part of this forum for sharing presets? I know that Amplitube used to have a Preset Exchange option, but apparently IK has since dropped support for that feature.

UPDATE: I have uploaded my preset to a site which hosts user preset exchange called http://www.producerpresets.com. You can download the preset here:

https://www.producerpresets.com/u/babz/ik-multimedia-sampletank-4/d3e152ac-5e30-4dd4-9d40-a9f37a97a360

Remember, this preset requires Spaceport '77.

Enjoy!
Babz
babz

Postby Steve-xyz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:30 pm

To use this preset in SampleTank4 for Mac, place the .st4i file here . . . . (Sorry, don't know the path for PC, but it should be relatively easy to find a similar path on PC.) Enjoy!

First, thanks for sharing the preset. Second, maybe this will encourage IK to expand ToneNet to include user presets for SampleTank and Syntronik Instruments. Third, the PC path would depend on where users have placed the files. Fourth, I placed mine in the . . . \SampleTank 4\Instruments\Spaceport '77\Electric Piano subfolder. After the database was rebuilt, it was there! :-)
Steve-xyz

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More