Amplitube 4 "Buzz" Sound when recording track.

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 4 "Buzz" Sound when recording track.

Postby Eyeris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:59 pm

Hello! I use Reaper as my DAW and use Amplitube 4 as a plugin. For the longest time, I can't figure out how to get rid of the buzz sound at the beginning of the track the moment I press record. It mostly happens with amplifiers with distortion but sometimes happens on the clean mode of many amps like the Mesa Boogie/Fender amps. Even rendering the MIDI input from the guitar in Reaper does not solve the issue cause it seems to have record that buzzing sound. It only happens in the beginning of the track; no where else, and I can't find out for the life of me on how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Eyeris

Re: Amplitube 4 "Buzz" Sound when recording track.

Postby supanorton » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Have you tried adjusting the noise gate?
supanorton

Postby Eyeris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 pm

supanorton wrote:Have you tried adjusting the noise gate?

I did. As a test, I made increased it all the way and it still does it.

Forgot to mention that the standalone application doesn't do this buzz sound at the beginning of hitting record, it gets rid of it when rendered. It only does it on Reaper.
Eyeris

Postby livesforrap » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 pm

Eyeris wrote:Even rendering the MIDI input from the guitar in Reaper does not solve the issue

Forgive me, but this doesn't make any sense to me. What am I missing?

As for the other I wonder if reaper has some input enabled (like stereo instead of mono) when recording and there is some interference from something. Is there a cable hooked up to a mixer or loose when recording by any chance?
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby Eyeris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:14 pm

livesforrap wrote:
Eyeris wrote:Even rendering the MIDI input from the guitar in Reaper does not solve the issue

Forgive me, but this doesn't make any sense to me. What am I missing?

As for the other I wonder if reaper has some input enabled (like stereo instead of mono) when recording and there is some interference from something. Is there a cable hooked up to a mixer or loose when recording by any chance?

When I record in Reaper, Reaper says the Amplitube sound item is a MIDI file, and I can render the track to make it .wav. I was saying that even after the track has been rendered, that sound still occurs because Reaper records that small buzz sound of the beginning of the recording, and keeps it there until I actually remove the entire track.

And no, there is no interference because this problem does not occur in the standalone app. no matter the gain/noise gate level. If anyone can try recording an amplifier with distortion and hear your playback in Reaper you will know what I am talking about (unless it's just me but I don't know.).
Eyeris

Postby oldbluejoe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi,

I have never had this while recording Amplitube in Reaper, sounds strange. Can you post a sound example of that?

Is this sound audible if you turn off Amplitube and just listen to the DI signal after recording? It might need more volume to be audible, since it is not amplified with the plugin.

I have no clue what you mean with recording a MIDI file.. Reaper should record the guitar as a wav file by default. Unless you have fiddled with the recording input settings..? Perhaps this is related to that unwanted sound you are hearing.

Also after you have rendered your midi file to wav (which you shouldn't have to be doing), you should be able to cut off the part at the start of the track as a normal editing procedure.
oldbluejoe

Postby Eyeris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:31 pm

oldbluejoe wrote:Hi,

I have never had this while recording Amplitube in Reaper, sounds strange. Can you post a sound example of that?

Is this sound audible if you turn off Amplitube and just listen to the DI signal after recording? It might need more volume to be audible, since it is not amplified with the plugin.

I have no clue what you mean with recording a MIDI file.. Reaper should record the guitar as a wav file by default. Unless you have fiddled with the recording input settings..? Perhaps this is related to that unwanted sound you are hearing.

Also after you have rendered your midi file to wav (which you shouldn't have to be doing), you should be able to cut off the part at the start of the track as a normal editing procedure.

I have uploaded the file here.

Also, you are right, for some reason it was in MIDI. Even after changing it, it doesn't fix it. Funny thing you mention editing it out because when I do, it doesn't actually go away from playback. And if I wanted to record the guitar again using the same track, it will just layer over another buzz sound. I don't know, it's weird. Hopefully the file I sent can help out. This sound begins no matter what amplifier I use and it only does it with Reaper.
Eyeris

Postby oldbluejoe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 am

Eyeris wrote:
Also, you are right, for some reason it was in MIDI. Even after changing it, it doesn't fix it. Funny thing you mention editing it out because when I do, it doesn't actually go away from playback. And if I wanted to record the guitar again using the same track, it will just layer over another buzz sound. I don't know, it's weird. Hopefully the file I sent can help out. This sound begins no matter what amplifier I use and it only does it with Reaper.

Wow, that is a weird sound! Actually I have no idea what causes it, all I can say that you should do systematic trouble shooting to try and and narrow down the possible cause.

I dont think it's an Amplitube thing, rather to do with Reaper, interface and their audio settings, but I don't know for sure. Which interface and drivers are you using? Have you checked the Reaper audio device settings, that your both input channels are seeing your interface, and not have the other channel recording your default hardware input like a built in microphone or something?

Do you get this if you start a completely fresh Reaper session without any custom settings and just record a dry guitar part on a blank track, without Amplitube or any other plugins? If you don't get this sound in that case, does adding Amplitube on the track afterwards cause it?

I would start with these..
oldbluejoe

Postby Eyeris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:09 am

oldbluejoe wrote:
Eyeris wrote:
Wow, that is a weird sound! Actually I have no idea what causes it, all I can say that you should do systematic trouble shooting to try and and narrow down the possible cause.

I dont think it's an Amplitube thing, rather to do with Reaper, interface and their audio settings, but I don't know for sure. Which interface and drivers are you using? Have you checked the Reaper audio device settings, that your both input channels are seeing your interface, and not have the other channel recording your default hardware input like a built in microphone or something?

Do you get this if you start a completely fresh Reaper session without any custom settings and just record a dry guitar part on a blank track, without Amplitube or any other plugins? If you don't get this sound in that case, does adding Amplitube on the track afterwards cause it?

I would start with these..

The interface I am using is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen. The sound driver is ASIO4ALL. I have not tried recording a dry sound without the plugin but it's weird how the standalone application does not do this whenever I render all the guitar sounds together. On that one, the sound does appear but disappears in the rendered file. I honestly don't know what else to do.

As for my Reaper settings, Reaper is using ASIO and have the track on "Record: input (audio or MIDI)". That's really all I have going there.
Eyeris

Postby oldbluejoe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:36 am

Eyeris wrote:
The interface I am using is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen. The sound driver is ASIO4ALL. I have not tried recording a dry sound without the plugin but it's weird how the standalone application does not do this whenever I render all the guitar sounds together. On that one, the sound does appear but disappears in the rendered file. I honestly don't know what else to do.

As for my Reaper settings, Reaper is using ASIO and have the track on "Record: input (audio or MIDI)". That's really all I have going there.

Focusrite probably has its own drivers that you should use instead of ASIO4ALL, that's what I have understood at least.

The reason I suggested to try to record a dry guitar track in Reaper without Amplitube, is that the problem doesn't happen in your stand alone. Therefore I was suspecting it being a Reaper/interface/driver/some settings issue. You should probably try that as well..

With Reaper audio device settings I meant the Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Device - where you defined your audio setting when you first started using Reaper. There you should change your driver to whatever came with your interface and make sure that both of your input channels are showing that same driver.

Possibly I'm way off here, but these are the things I would check first, hope it helps..
oldbluejoe

Postby Eyeris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:04 am

oldbluejoe wrote:
Focusrite probably has its own drivers that you should use instead of ASIO4ALL, that's what I have understood at least.

The reason I suggested to try to record a dry guitar track in Reaper without Amplitube, is that the problem doesn't happen in your stand alone. Therefore I was suspecting it being a Reaper/interface/driver/some settings issue. You should probably try that as well..

With Reaper audio device settings I meant the Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Device - where you defined your audio setting when you first started using Reaper. There you should change your driver to whatever came with your interface and make sure that both of your input channels are showing that same driver.

Possibly I'm way off here, but these are the things I would check first, hope it helps..

Okay, so I recorded a dry sound, and it doesn't appear there. It's only when I use Amplitube when that sound occurs. Also, I did have Focusrite ASIO USB enabled, and both input ranges are set to the one the guitar is plugged into. I really don't know why it happens or what I am supposed to do.
Eyeris

Postby livesforrap » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:05 am

Ok, that sound is really strange. Sounds like a "boingy" kinda thing with some verb on (or is that the speaker room)
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby supanorton » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:05 pm

I'm sure you looked, but does Reaper have a forum? I know we've got some Reaper users here, but they aren't chiming in.

Really strange.
supanorton

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling