Amplitube 5 Bug in Reaper

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5 Bug in Reaper

Postby cereboso » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:15 am

Amplitube 5.0.1 is not working properly in Reaper.
Overall version 5 loads MUCH slower than version 4 which I really hope is addressed.
Besides that, it will crash the DAW when the preset system in Reaper is used either by selecting a preset or by using FX Chains.
Can anyone else test this and confirm you're seeing the issue as well?
Details below...

---

Steps to repeat:
Load blank Reaper session (latest version 6.19) on Windows 10 Pro 64bit (latest version 20H2)
Create track
Add VST3 (or VST2) version of Amplitube 5
It will load too slowly but it should load and then choose any amp other than default
Save as a preset in Reaper's built in preset manager (click the + icon in the bar above the plugin GUI next to Param)
Click 'Save preset' and give it any name
Delete Amplitube plugin from track
Record arm the track (or have the session playing back)
Add Amplitube plugin to track
It will crash/hang the DAW

Temporary fix:
Delete all presets for the plugin in Reaper preset manager

Another situation:
Load blank Reaper session (latest version 6.19)
Create track
Add VST3 (or VST2) version of Amplitube 5
It will load too slowly but it should load and then choose any amp other than default
Use the Reaper plugin window and choose FX > Save FX Chain
Give it any name and save
Delete Amplitube plugin from track
Record arm track or hit play
Go back to FX > Add FX chain and select the chain that you just saved
It will hang/crash the DAW

Conclusion: Amplitube 5 does not respond correctly to the Reaper preset when track is record armed or playing back.
It will crash/hang the DAW. Amplitube 4 does respond properly to this behavior and works much faster.
cereboso

Re: Amplitube 5 Bug in Reaper

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chip in. But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link at the top of the Search FAQs page to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances and may lead others down the wrong track.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby oldbluejoe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Hello,

I encountered the same problem with overwriting the default amp and then having Reaper to freeze at next launch. So I changed the original default amp back in stand alone and was able to open it in Reaper again after that.

I reported this to tech support and they were able to recreate the problem. They said they will pass this to dev team and hopefully they can fix it for the next update.

Cheers,
BlueJoe
oldbluejoe

Postby qupaul » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 pm

Thanks Blue Joe,

Your suggestion also sorted out my crashing problem with Reaper and AT5

Once I had tracked down what the original default amp was in the standalone, and changed it back, the plugin loaded quickly and the crashes went away.

The original default amp is the Brit 8000
qupaul

Postby km4qs58S » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Not only does Reaper have a problem when you change the default preset; Blue Cat's PatchWork also can't load AT5 if the default preset is changed in any way.
km4qs58S

Postby oldbluejoe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 pm

qupaul wrote:Thanks Blue Joe,

Your suggestion also sorted out my crashing problem with Reaper and AT5

Once I had tracked down what the original default amp was in the standalone, and changed it back, the plugin loaded quickly and the crashes went away.

The original default amp is the Brit 8000

Great it worked! Of course I could have been more helpful and mention what the default amp was originally.. The way I found it was that after I started suspecting the preset to be the problem, I just removed the Default file from the preset folder in Documents. Then I launched AT5 and the original amp was there again, just without any preset name. Then I could just save it as Default and things worked. I sure hope they can fix this in future updates, as they said they would do..
oldbluejoe

Postby cereboso » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Yes, hopefully they fix this ASAP. Amp 5 is basically unusable in Reaper until they do.
It also loads MUCH slower than Amp 4 which is less than ideal.
cereboso

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:24 pm

AmpliTube 5 is not "unusable" in Reaper. Many are using it successfully. Anybody having an issue should report it to IK Support so that their issue will get resolved. Thank you.

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling