It was inevitable Mr. Anderson, "first impressions" thread

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: It was inevitable Mr. Anderson, the "first impressions"

Postby dscheidt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:54 pm

I think everyone is just interested in initial findings! Good stuff so far.

I'm happy with the JH Gold + a tube screamer in front of it. From working with my 'other company modeling hardware', I've figured out that I like the Plexi upper mid sound rather than the chugga-chugga of the modern high gain amps. The Friedman model is very cool, but still sounds a bit more than what I want. I Love the model of the Archon, good tone, but too 'smooth' for a good crunchy rhythm sound.

A lot of the trick to making AT5 work is the cab simulator. moving the mic points around can REALLY change the tone.
dscheidt

Re: It was inevitable Mr. Anderson, the "first impressions"

Postby livesforrap » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:31 am

Anyways, like most amp sims they are generally kinda dark when loading an instance. But here's the kick-butt thing, you can FEED this sim treble and presence w/o it being fizzy or harsh.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Re: It was inevitable Mr. Anderson, "first impressions" thre

Postby livesforrap » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:32 am

MAN! Now that I have a "good" guitar (with humbuckers) I can really put this thing to the test. It's even better.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:02 am

"livesforrap, party of one, livesforrap, party of one"

I can't contain my enthusiasm. The Satch black is PERFECT for the PRS sim. The new cabs are imho a far cry from what I demoed back when it came out. I want both and the VM now. Have the JS50 already so I'd need 55 credits and no stomps.

But I really don't want the stomps, or the boston thingy, I just want the two cabs and the VM.

Tried the Slash cabs and they are not exciting enough to buy. Also tried the Mesa 2x12 and it's not to my taste.

When the demo works, I'm having a very good time switching around. The PRS with the Satch black, the pink taco with the 9000 (and the new diode drive if I want heavier) and the VM with the Black are my favs. Like the JS50 with the green cab and the PRS with the black Satch for clean is really nice too (but you have to bring the volume on that channel way down or it clips)
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm sorry so many people are having issues with AT5. I've caused myself physical pain playing so much with it :lol:
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:52 pm

A lovely little discovery.

A long time ago I bought one of the "Slash" amps (the AFD100) and over the years it's fallen out of favor for some reason.

Well, with the new guitar, that model and the 9000 cab it's rejuvenated. Really "marshally" with nice gain but not too much. Flipping the switch is a fantastic tone for the neck pickup (bucker) and you can turn down the gain on either setting and put an overscream in front for a nice flavor.
livesforrap

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:31 pm

livesforrap wrote:A lovely little discovery.

A long time ago I bought one of the "Slash" amps (the AFD100) and over the years it's fallen out of favor for some reason.

Well, with the new guitar, that model and the 9000 cab it's rejuvenated. Really "marshally" with nice gain but not too much. Flipping the switch is a fantastic tone for the neck pickup (bucker) and you can turn down the gain on either setting and put an overscream in front for a nice flavor.

I often forget there's a neck pickup on my Les Paul ;)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby livesforrap » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Usually humbuckers are too muddy in the neck position (other than soloing) so it was a nice discovery :)

Totally off topic, I'm curious about one of these:

https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/model/fiore_2021

The HSS version of my modern Fender Japan is not in production and the used ones are price gouged. It's expensive but might fit the bill (I know, people are hatin' on PRS strats/superstrats) :roll:
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:22 pm

I wonder if I should start another thread about the guitars you guys (and me) use with AT5 :mrgreen:
livesforrap

Postby supanorton » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 pm

livesforrap wrote:I wonder if I should start another thread about the guitars you guys (and me) use with AT5 :mrgreen:

1958 Gretsch Clipper (just for slide)
1969 Fender Telecaster
1980 Fender Stratocaster
1996 Fender Precision Bass
2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
2014 Epiphone ES-335 Pro
2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

I must say my favorite physical amps have always been Marshall types (I'm a JCM900 lover and so many Marshall people hate them) and the same goes with AT5; although, I did make a couple of presets with the Fender 1 and 2 amps that I've found good use for as well! I used to be a total Fender guy until I got my first LP 8 years ago. My Fenders still have their place, but the Gibsons have moved a notch or two ahead. I honestly can't get enough of the MiniPlex 20 with rack EQ 8 and the Black 76 on the master insert. Actually, I've been throwing those two racks on master inserts of just about all the amps. Really subtle just to get the guitars sitting nice in the mix. So much fun.

I can't get enough of this program; inspiration for miles.

It's funny, I meant to reply to post you made about the improvement of the ultra tuner...yes, I totally noticed the difference after the update. It's weird they didn't mention any bug fix for it in the update notes. Whatever! It's working fine now.

I'm enjoying your posts, @livesoforrap!
Last edited by supanorton on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supanorton

Postby livesforrap » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:51 pm

Cool :D

All I'm using right now is my new Fender Modern HH. It's a Japan Fender and the neck is the best I've played. My tastes change though so why knows what I'll get next.

That's quite the stable BTW :shock:
livesforrap

Postby supanorton » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 am

livesforrap wrote:Cool :D

All I'm using right now is my new Fender Modern HH. It's a Japan Fender and the neck is the best I've played. My tastes change though so why knows what I'll get next.

That's quite the stable BTW :shock:

For my gigging years, there were just the two Fenders. After I got a real job and my kids got a little older, I could afford more guitars. I'd really like a Gibson 335 someday, but that's way down the road at this point.

That PRS is a nice looking guitar. I've never played one.
supanorton

Postby livesforrap » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 am

See, I don't have the fingers for those guitars you have. I need things with fret access higher, that's why I don't have a LP or something like that. I have a Carvin that sounds killer (Cali) but I hate the mahogany neck :(

The PRS might have good high fret access but I'm not sure. Also not sure about the single coil hum (I like a bit of gain on my SC neck :) )

For now I'll just use this one, with like you said the "Marshal" stuff and the Pink Taco, 4x12 cabs and do dad rock :lol:
livesforrap

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Main guitars:

• 1990 Les Paul Studio (purchased from Gruhn Guitar in Nashville, basic but perfect Les Paul)
  • 1987 Warmoth Strat copy assembled by me then tweaked by luthier Tom Doyle - Lace Sensors with two reds wired as a humbucker but also splittable at the bridge. Lace did not make humbuckers at the time from what I recall
  • 1989 Tom Doyle custom modeled from Les Paul's own early prototype. 1 of 6 Les allowed to be made, with Tom Doyle's pickups, can each be split, with Varitone switch
  • 1959 Les Paul Junior double cut

Signed by Les, too:
(don't have pics of the LP Studio or LP Junior that I can find online)

Since I don't play 7 string much I have an Agile Interceptor Pro with EMG 707 pickups for the rare times I do:

Many others because I like to have at least in one guitar in each room except bathrooms, including cheaper strat copies, a surprisingly good Epiphone SG single humbucker cheapie, abominations built from whatever parts fit together, etc.

I've gigged most with the Warmoth Strat copy. And my acoustics, too, but they're not used with AT and are humble Takamines which I swear are best bang for buck anywhere.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby supanorton » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Nice collection, Peter! Signed by Les! Wow!

You do realize that some of us NEED to see the 59 Junior.
supanorton

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling