Laptop for AmpliTube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Laptop for AmpliTube 5

Postby Sharkhaywood » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:42 pm

[Mod edit: posts have been split into their own thread, for clarity and focus]

Not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but I have been using a laptop with only 16gb of Ram. I am running Presonus Studio 4 Professional and EZ Drummer from Toontrack so far. I am very interested in AmpliTube 5 but am concerned that running all of this on a laptop that I would run into latency issues. What kind of PC should I be looking to upgrade to so that I could run all of that without latency issues?
Sharkhaywood

Re: Presenting AmpliTube 5

Postby chipss36 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 pm

I run all that, midi drums, so5, and many more.
On my old cheese grater Mac Pro.
Latency is more an issue with buffer size.
Drop latency to track.
Raise it to mix...
The latency of AmpliTube is about like standing a few feet from an amp.

Try the free version of AmpliTube 5.
See how that works..
chipss36

Postby Sharkhaywood » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:13 pm

chipss36 wrote:I run all that, midi drums, so5, and many more.
On my old cheese grater Mac Pro.
Latency is more an issue with buffer size.
Drop latency to track.
Raise it to mix...
The latency of AmpliTube is about like standing a few feet from an amp.

Try the free version of AmpliTube 5.
See how that works..

Awesome I will give it a shot.
Sharkhaywood

Postby ejsheldon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Sharkhaywood wrote:Not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but I have been using a laptop with only 16gb of Ram. I am running Presonus Studio 4 Professional and EZ Drummer from Toontrack so far. I am very interested in AmpliTube 5 but am concerned that running all of this on a laptop that I would run into latency issues. What kind of PC should I be looking to upgrade to so that I could run all of that without latency issues?

1) What do you consider "acceptable" latency?

2) What processor are you running?

3) What is your maximum screen resolution - goes to whether AT5 will run on your system at all. There's a fix in the works, but we'll have to wait to see how effective it is

I'm running an i7-7500 laptop with 16gb. I use a Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen) with Reaper, with Amp sims, EZDrummer controlled from an eDrum set, and synth VSTs. The Scarlett driver reports 7.6ms RTL at 48k/64spls in Reaper. That is consistent with the hardwired test using the Oblique Audio RTL Utility. This latency is undetectable by me on any of my instruments.
ejsheldon

Postby neil.cummins1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Sharkhaywood wrote:Not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but I have been using a laptop with only 16gb of Ram. I am running Presonus Studio 4 Professional and EZ Drummer from Toontrack so far. I am very interested in AmpliTube 5 but am concerned that running all of this on a laptop that I would run into latency issues. What kind of PC should I be looking to upgrade to so that I could run all of that without latency issues?

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5748 with i3 processor and 8Gb of RAM,with Cakewalk and Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen.AT5 does have some additional overhead on CPU cycles compared to AT4 and the more complex the signal chain you use,the greater this will be given the additional modelling and VIR.A buffer size of 256 I can just about get away with if the signal chain is fairly simple,however more complex ones cause crackling and eventual dropout.I can work around using a buffer of 512 and using Direct Monitoring when recording,then a bit of judicious transient shuffling to bring things back into line.

Other than the 30 minute authorisation problem on launch day,I've found it quite impressive and looking forward to running it on a new machine in a few weeks time with 32Gb of RAM and i7 10th Gen CPU.
neil.cummins1

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling