Axe IO Latency killing me! [Resolved]

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe IO Latency killing me! [Resolved]

Postby rnewman19 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:39 pm

I am running Axe IO into a Mac Powerbook Pro with a 2.4 Ghz 8 Core i9 proc and am getting a very, very noticeable latency. I am running output to an iLoud Monitor/Speaker and can't play with the vol turned up as the latency is too distracting. I bought the Axe IO b/c it is supposed to have very low latency. Any ideas? How can I play in real time with this configuration? I have tried all the buffer settings and still no help.

With my iRig HD 2, I was able to play with the buffer to get fairly low and acceptable latency with my PC Laptop. Help! I have also tried it with Bias FX. 2 Elite, just to see if the latency was different.
rnewman19

Re: Axe IO Latency killing me!

Postby DarkStar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into. How much latency are you getting?

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chip in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link at the top to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances.

-------------------------------------------------
PS: it would be best to change your Account Name away from an email address, to minimise the chance of it being harvested by web bots and you receiving all sorts of 'special offers', bank account verification requests, Amazon Prime renewals, Ray-Ban sunglasses, tax refunds etc from all over the place for years and years. You can change it here:.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rnewman19 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:03 am

What is a reasonable latency that is just gonna happen. I used to get low with an iRig into Amplitube but can’t match it with the AXE IO. I opened a ticket with support several days ago.
rnewman19

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Please continue to work with Support; you can Reply to the email from Support at any time asking for a progress report or further information.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby rnewman19 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks, will do. Just as a question? Does buffer automatically add a relative amount of latency? Is it a pretty direct correlation? I really am way ignorant of this process. I have used an iRig and an HD 2 mainly with my iPhone and tablet and never noticed much latency at all. When I have gone to computers, which have way more processing power, I seem to fight latency. That seems counterintuitive to me. This Apple Laptop is the most powerful computer I have ever owned, of any kind, and still........... It has been 3 days and I have not heard anything from Support on my problem. It must be my settings somewhere. I may call Sweetwater today and see if someone there can help. Can't someone tell me what settings work best for them and I can try those?
rnewman19

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I do not have an AXE I/O so cannot give specific settings. I do hope that someone-else will.

These (pretty old) articles may be useful for the principles@
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/optimising-latency-pc-audio-interface
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/living-latency
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/audio-interfaces-latency-twisted-tools
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby rnewman19 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:32 pm

DarkStar,
Thanks these links are exactly what I need. I am obviously just plain ignorant of how this works. These are really highly instructive.
rnewman19

Postby dlgebert » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 pm

rnewman19 wrote:Axe IO Latency killing me!

I am running Axe IO into a Mac Powerbook Pro with a 2.4 Ghz 8 Core i9 proc and am getting a very, very noticeable latency.

I'm on an iMac running macOS Big Sur and using Studio One 5 as my DAW. Below are screen print links of the latency I'm getting with my AXE I/O, which is around 3.5ms.

AXE I/O Studio One 5 Input - Output Latency

AXE I/O Studio One 5 Roundtrip Latency

The AXE I/O is a class compliant device on MacOS and requires no external drivers. Please make sure you are not using ASIO4ALL or any other external drivers.

Another thing to mention, in your DAW or Amplitube standalone application, make sure your [Playback Device] and your [Recording Device] are set to [AXE IO] as shown in my latency screen prints. You shouldn't mix devices, like the AXE I/O is input and your iLoud Monitor is your output because it causes hardware timing issues and latency. If your iLoud Monitor is connected to one of the AXE I/O outputs, that's ok.

Here is the link to IKM's AXE I/O FAQ section if you want to review that as well.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=13&topic=axe-io

Dave
dlgebert

Postby rnewman19 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Dave,
Thanks, this was what I was hoping for, some real numbers to try. I have it working amazingly well with other apps but am still trying to get it to an acceptable level with Amplitube, which is why I bought it in the first place. The Amplitube 5 Max was a big selling point. Eve using the iLoud out of my Mac's Output, with Bias, the latency is only a couple ms's. I will try these suggested settings and get back to the forum. If I find any settings that work even better, I will post them.
Thanks,
Bob
rnewman19

Postby rnewman19 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:34 pm

All,
When I run Output 1 to my Line 6 35 Watt Amp, there is no, zero, zip, perceptible latency. I have the Axe IO set as Input and Output in Amplitube and the Sound Preferences on my Mac. I guess the iLoud's are going to be relegated to serving as Bluetooth Speakers for Poolside, like they have been used for years now. T^hanks to all who assisted, that means you DarkStar.
I guess that the Mac rerouting the signal to the iLouds was sending the signal to California and back.
rnewman19

Postby dlgebert » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:38 pm

rnewman19 wrote:I guess the iLoud's are going to be relegated to serving as Bluetooth Speakers...

I guess that the Mac rerouting the signal to the iLouds was sending the signal to California and back.

That makes sense why you were having latency isuues when you mentioned Bluetooth.

I have Sony Bluetooth headphones which are great, but when I tried using them on my iMac, MacOS set them as the output audio device. When I tried using them in Studio One 5, my AXE I/O became my input audio device, but my Bluetooth headphones were set as my output device and my output latency settings were horrible, like 54ms, or something like that.

Bluetooth is ok for buffering playback applications, but not for realtime applications.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby rnewman19 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Digebert,
Thanks, that was the problem all along, the Bluetooth. I should have thought to include that tasty bit of info. I am plugged into my Mac with a TRRS cable and there is no perceptible Latency. This is awesome because it is much more convenient to use my iLouds than my Guitar Amp. I can now give a Rave Review of the Axe IO. It sounds Amazing with my iLouds or my Line 6 Amp. I am one Happy Customer!!! I use this computer for work, at home, so not having to swap out my internal speakers or iLoud physically for my Line 6 is a great convenience. I can just leave the iLoud on here and change my input from the AXE IO to my Microphone, and back, as needed.
rnewman19

Re: Axe IO Latency killing me! [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:28 pm

I am glad that, with dlgebert's help, have got it sorted out. :)

I did a quick Google and saw "Bluetooth latency can go anywhere from an ideal 34 ms (aptX LL) up to 100-300 ms for true wireless earbuds and headphones"

I am sure that this will help others too.

---------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Interfaces & Controllers