Opening Old Files

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Opening Old Files

Postby soft_spot74 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 am

The situation is this: For years I recorded guitar tracks with a friend using amplitube on his station at his home studio, from the first version of Amplitube through Amplitube 3. He and I both used Cubase, he got me into it, but I never installed Amplitube at home since I use real amps when I record on my own. I have many of the files we created together as well as the masters, but all the guitar tracks are just the DI tracks, 95% were never bounced down.

Lately I have wanted to mess around with those old songs but realized I would have to painstakingly recreate all the settings. I've tried it a few times and it's always way off. I could rerecord everything my normal way but I have to say, first, he was quite genius at getting cool sounds, always different, and second we probably did 20 tracks a year for maybe 10 years, multiple tracks, often doubled, etc. so rerecording isn't realistic in a normal lifetime. If I could go back and have my friend bounce them down I would, but he left this mortal coil many years ago.

One thought was to try to buy the old versions thinking Cubase should just open everything exactly as they were in 2005 or so, but you can't buy old versions apparently. Then I thought to buy someone's old licenses for each version but I can't find someone to do this either. Next I thought to buy the current version of Amplitube but I don't know if it will open those old songs in Cubase with the same or similar settings. I'm a bit stumped. I hope it's possible and someone can give me some advice, there's still time for me to become a rock star.
soft_spot74

Re: Opening Old Files

Postby DarkStar » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Hello soft_spot74 and welcome to the forum.

To answer your last point - yes, there's still enough time. :)

I am sorry that you lost your friend.

The major versions of AmpliTube (like many other products) do not automatically replace previous versions in projects. I think that some AU plug-ins might, but I'm not sure. So the current version of AmpliTube will not help with those old Cubase projects.

The best way I can think of is to get hold of the old version(s) of AmpliTube, install and authorise them then re-open the old projects. Did you try asking if anyone has an old licence on the KvRAudio Sell & Buy forum?

Or, another user with the older versions could and Cubase might be able to load your old projects (they may not need the actual audio) and make a few screenshots of the AmpliTube GUI parameter settings.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the other thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link at the top to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem, but without directly quoting any correspondence from Support.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks for joining the conversation.

We're very sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences.

DarkStar has the right idea here. I would go that route if you can. Just a small note, AmpliTube 3 to AmpliTube 4 are seen as two different programs, so even as AU they would not auto-update in your sessions.

AmpliTube 3 CS is still in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account to get your older sessions loaded once you get that Cubase serial. If you need an older version then 3 (I know you said you've used the original AmpliTube), just shoot me a PM and I'll see what we can do for this unique situation. I've personally been there before, so I really feel for your situation and It would be a pleasure to help you get these sounds back in anyway we can.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/

It might be a good idea to ask Steinberg support for an access code if you have the latest one. Perhaps they could even convert the session for you, that way you have the exact sounds from the original sessions. From there, I would suggest either printing these sounds and taking them to a new version.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby soft_spot74 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 am

Thanks to everyone with their ideas. I think the best is Darkstar's idea to just find someone who will let me take their license if IK won't sell it to me. I guess that's typical with software companies (to not sell their old version after new releases) though I can't imagine why. I looked a little at KVR and I'm going to post because no one is currently offering A1 or A2 but maybe I'll get lucky. I think it's the only way I'll ever realistically get the originals back. What a lot of work for something already done!

To Ryan_IK, I don't ever remember buying V3 but you are right, there it is. Problem is, after installing it and doing the authorization it doesn't show up in my cubase, which is a pretty old V5. I bet it's a 32 bit vs 64 bit thing but I don't see where to find a 32 bit version of the Amplitube 3 VST. I'll keep searching.

Thanks to all once again.
soft_spot74

Postby DarkStar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:47 pm

I am pretty sure that the AT3 installer contained both 64-bit and 32-bit editions. Run the installer again and check teach step closely and the destinations selected for the plug-ins.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Correct @Darkstar, AmpliTube 3 CS (Custom Shop) will be both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby soft_spot74 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm not exactly sure why, but I got A3 working finally. I had to remove it from the plugins folder, rescan in Cubase, then reinstall it. Unfortunatley, as was said the patches from older versions don't open. I wish I knew how to hack the file to open them but I suppose it's just too different.

If anyone wants to sell their V1, and/or V2 license let me know.
soft_spot74

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling