Getting started with iRig HD 2, AmpliTube 4, and an iMac

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Getting started with iRig HD 2, AmpliTube 4, and an iMac

Postby Papabear16 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:18 am

Hello,

I’ve owned and used my iRig HD 2 for a year or two, always with an iOS device. I recently purchased an iMac—my first—and just downloaded AmpliTube 4. And ... I can’t get it to work. Help, please!

I’ve tested the iRig repeatedly with my iPhone, and it works just fine. So that’s not an issue. When I connect it to the iMac with a USB cable, I have—just once—gotten it to work when I had my headphones plugged into the iRig, and once (with a significant latency problem) through my AirPods connected to the iMac. But I can’t duplicate that, and I haven’t been able to get it to work through the computer speakers or headphones connected to the speakers.

It could be that I don’t have something set right in the iMac. I’m new to the iMac world, so that’s entirely possible. It could also be that I need to turn something on within AmpliTube. I notice that, when the IRig is plugged into the computer, the iRig light stays blue. But when I plug it into the iPhone, the light turns green and orange as appropriate.

This is a lot of detail because I don’t know what’s relevant. But I hope something triggers an easy fix from someone. Thanks for any help!
Papabear16

Re: Getting started with iRig HD 2, AmpliTube 4, and an iMac

Postby obispojoe » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:01 am

Make sure that when Amplitube 4 is open, you go to settings and select Audio Midi setup. From there make sure your input is set to irig 2 HD and output device where you want the output to go. To be safe, plug in the irig to iMac before firing up Amplitube 4 to make sure the irig is registered as a usb sound device before starting up amplitube. And in case it is not obvious because you are a new Mac user, you need to make sure that you "quit" Amplitube from the Amplitube 4 menu next to Apple logo in upper left before starting it up fresh again once irig is connected.
obispojoe

Re: Getting started with iRig HD 2, AmpliTube 4, and an iMac

Postby Papabear16 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply. And telling me things "in case it is not obvious because you are a new Mac user" is ALWAYS welcome, and usually necessary!

I just hooked up again to try it before work, and got nothing (even though the light on the iRig would turn green this time). I was using a shorter USB cable, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Anyway, I saw nothing on the AmpliTube display when I was playing, but decided to trying Input 2 (as I have without success in the past). This time it worked! I had to reduce the buffer size to reduce the latency, but once that was done, I was in good shape.

So I think I'm good! Now to learn to software.

Thanks again for the help. Any other tips, especially about latency, are welcome!
Papabear16

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling