VST Won't Install (VST3, AU, AAX do)

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

VST Won't Install (VST3, AU, AAX do)

Postby TwistedHalo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 am

I just got a new computer and installed my Amplitube 4 and T-RackS plugins. For some reason the VST versions of the plugins aren't available when I try to add them to tracks in Reaper. But, the VST3 versions are. I initially did a full install, but, I even went back and tried to reinstall both Amplitube and T-RackS with just the VST option checked. I have no idea why this is happening. It honestly wouldn't bother me, but, I have a few projects I'm still working on that have the VST versions in them and I don't know what settings I was using. Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance!
TwistedHalo

Re: VST Won't Install (VST3, AU, AAX do)

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello TwistedHalo and welcome to the forum.

This is the first time I have heard of VST plug-ins not installing if the option has been selected during installation.

Can you recall what path the VSTs were installed into? IF not, then Search your complete disk(s) for "AmpliTube" or "TR5" (without quotes) to find the dll files. Then make sure that their path(s) are accessible by Reaper (or other DAW).

I vaguely recall that there is a (newish) preference in Reaper to prefer VST3 over VST. Could that be it or am I talking nonsense?

I tend not to install VST3 editions as no-one has convinced me that both the DAWs and the plug-ins have implemented the advantageous new features.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby TwistedHalo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks for your reply! Your comment got me searching for my .dll files. I found a comment from another forum that, among other things had this tidbit in it "All VST 2's installed under one parent directory (my system c:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\)". That go me looking into what folders things were placed in.

Long story short, somehow the instalation process created a new folder under program files called VstPlugins and all of the Amplitube and T-RackS .dll files were placed there instead of with all of the other plugin manufacturers' .dll files in the VstPlugins sub-folder of the Steinberg folder.

All I had to do is copy and paste the files from one folder to the other and the problem was fixed. I have no idea why this happened in the first place. But I'm glad I was able to figure it out. Thanks again for your help!
TwistedHalo

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:11 pm

The installer prompts for the directory for each type of plugin during the installation process. When you update please be careful to check where these are going since you moved them manually this time.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby TwistedHalo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Would it be of any help to just delete the extraneous VstPlugins folder (the non-Steinberg one)? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks!
TwistedHalo

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm

TwistedHalo wrote:Would it be of any help to just delete the extraneous VstPlugins folder (the non-Steinberg one)? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks!

I wouldn't do anything further manually. If it is working I'd leave it be, just keep an eye next time for the installer paths during the process and you should be fine.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby TwistedHalo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks a ton!!!
TwistedHalo

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Good oh!

Disclaimer: Only do this if you understand exactly what you are doing.
If you did want to tidy up and avoid any problems next time ....
  • Delete the TR5 and AT4 dll files from "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\",
  • Uninstall TR5 and AT4,
  • Install TR5 and AT4, making sure that you select the "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\" folder for the VST plug-ins.
It might even be better to create a new folder "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\IK Multimedia" and select that as the destination.

------------------
Background info
The "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins" folder is the one suggested by Steinberg (the originators of the VST plug-in format). Initially other developers used that folder too; but these days, more and more are moving away from it. And most installers these days let you select the folder for your VST plug-ins. Just remember to check each stage of the installation; do not just click [Next] or [OK] without consideration.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling