Something to try when AXE/IO has no sound output

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Something to try when AXE/IO has no sound output

Postby R0lias-tg » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:27 pm

The AXE/IO has been working fine for months since I bought it. Today I tried connecting the Line Out 1/L and 2/R outputs to my powered speakers. I got no output. Then I switched back to the headphone output and still no output. I could see input and output levels from the software but no sound from the AXE/IO from any source. Checked the Control panel settings everything was fine. Restarted my Mac and cycled power to the AXE I/O still no joy. Eventually in Amplitube 5's control panel in the OUTPUT section I changed the Output Device setting to "MacBook Pro Speakers" and I got sound. Back to AXE IO, no sound. I then plugged my powered speakers into the Mac's headphone jack and the Amplitube 5 software switched automatically to the Mac headphone jack. Everything worked. Finally I put the headphone jack back to the AXE I/O headphone output and now sound would play. I then tried the Line Out connectors on the back and got sound. Seems like some kind of serious bug in the Amplitube 5 software to me. It showed the Output device as AXE IO for Out 1 on the left channel and Out 2 on the right channel but it behaved as if the output was going nowhere until I switched it to different areas and back manually with no change. I'm guessing the key was getting it to switch automatically to the Mac's headphone jack but that's far from certain. I'm not sure how many of the steps above are necessary but it took a good 30 minutes of trying things to get the system working. Not sure how useful this device will be if I try to use it live or jamming with friends if it's this temperamental.
R0lias-tg

Re: Something to try when AXE/IO has no sound output

Postby smithy271278 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:42 pm

Make sure your settings are correct in audio midi set up on Mac enable both sound input and output to axe I/o then when you start amplitube make sure the settings match that of the Mac core audio

Then you should be good to go

Hopefully this helps

Cheers
smithy271278

Re: Something to try when AXE/IO has no sound output

Postby R0lias-tg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:13 pm

Thanks I'll check the Audio Midi Setup utility next time it happens. I don't see a way to "enable" or "disable" the output there. I do see the output tab and six sliders so I can check that those are all at max and that the Mute button is not clicked. Is there some other checkbox or setting I should focus on? The gear icon has an option for "Use this device for sound output" - but it and the other options (Except for Configure Speakers) are all disabled.

R0lias-tg

Return to Interfaces & Controllers