Which iRig for drum lessons

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Which iRig for drum lessons

Postby Drummer629 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:43 pm

With kids stuck at home I everything is done online including music lessons.
I would like to connect our drum (Roland TD30) to the ipad so the teacher can do it using zoom or other meeting apps. As other children will be on virtual learning i need to keep noise level down.

Requirements:
TD30 -> iRig -> iPad
Ipad->music to meeting app ->kid using Bluetooth headphone to talk to the teacher.

Question:
1) With the drum set connected to iRig (mono/ L ) and then to the ipad, will I need additional software for the teacher to hear the drums via meeting apps? There is no use for recording, just want to teacher to see and hear the drums.

2)Must the drums be connected to the iRig via the 1/4” guitar/speaker cable mono/L output? If so which iRig fits my purpose as I have only seen output 1/4” not input.

Thanks in advance.
Drummer629

Re: Which iRig for drum lessons

Postby Drummer629 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 pm

I have purchased an iRig 2 and was able to get the music from the drum kit to the iPad.
Problem is when I plug in the headset microphone to the iRig device I am able to hear the drums and the other party on the meeting, but the microphone doesn’t work, thus unable to communicate.

Can anyone help with this issue?
Drummer629

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:10 pm

iRig 2 is a mono iput line or instrument level interface. Any audio you need to pass to the device/other person would need to feed into the single input of iRig 2. The headphone jack on iRig 2 is for headphone output not for microphone input. iRig Stream's headphone jack does support our microphones and also has stereo input.

For more involved/complex setups with multiple inputs, we have multichannel interfaces (as well as digital input interfaces for much higher fidelity audio). You can check them all out at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/interfaces (and each audio interface's page should have a Compare link if you'd like to compare them to each other). Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Drummer629 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:06 am

Thx for the reply. I will try to see if a headphone jack splitter might overcome this problem. Appreciate the input.
Drummer629

Return to Interfaces & Controllers