iRig HD 2 wih Valve preamp before it

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig HD 2 wih Valve preamp before it

Postby m10071978 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi!
I want to use my iRig HD 2 with valve preamp, as a backup signal chain for gigs without guitar stack (directly into mixing console).
The signal runs as follows:
Guitar -> Valve Preamp input -> Valve Preamp output -> iRig HD2 input -> iPad -> inside iPad FX and Amp Simulation -> inside iPad Cabinet simulation (IR) -> iRig HD2 output -> mixing console.

The question is : can a valve preamp cause overload to iRig HD input?
m10071978

Re: iRig HD 2 wih Valve preamp before it

Postby m10071978 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 pm

I give an answer to myself:
Valve preamp can be connected to iRig HD2’s input and will not overload it. Just do not get the signal too hot while turning knobs. And turn the input knob on iRig HD2 totally down. I have no idea of what my preamp output level is - +4 or -10. The iRig’s input behaves like my other interface - RME Babyface Pro. May be iRig is slightly more sensitive, but i am not sure.

Amp and speaker simulation in iPad work fine with Valve preamp.
In addition I have inserted the whole config into FX return of Marshall Stack and it worked fine. Plenty of lows, and I did not notice latency. Way better than without preamp, though it makes whole setup 2 kilos heavier.
m10071978

Return to Interfaces & Controllers